Where have all the deer gone?

50/50

Just back from a weekend on my syndicate in Argyll Scotland.

Could not have asked for better weather.. beautiful blue skies, cold, hard frosts and the ocassional light snow fall.

Road runs right thru centre of the permission, so easy to see tracks in the snow but no deer moving about and no fresh sign... where the hell are they?

Have they moved on or are they hiding up, conserving energy?

Costs a lot to travel all the way up from the south, so started to question the economics, especially when going home empty handed.

Then I read this thread on Africa hunting and it reminded me why I continue to hunt
http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-africa-general/1154-what-wrong-you-people-3.html

"Ever play a game where there is a 100% chance of winning? There isn't much excitement. It's like playing Monopoly with an 8 year-old. You'll win all right, but the outcome was never in doubt. Whooop-de-doo. It's like watching your favorite team play the Detroit Lions. Sure, they'll win, but by the next day the game won't even be remembered".

"The best hunts are those when you aren't really sure it will work out. I think that's why the trophy that magically appears during the last hour of the last day of the hunt will forever stand out. It's the uncertainty that keeps it fun".

"Collecting a head for the wall is OK I guess, sort of like collecting collector plates or shot glasses. Really though, I dump money on the taxidermist mostly to remember the friends, the stalk, and the sunrise over the desert that day. Anything else is sort of like fishing at the fish hatchery".

The deer are here ok but i know some areas in Argyll have been getting shot out i here places like kilbride park got so hard hit by FC stalker it might take years to recover.Glen daruel Tinnabruach is all so areas that have been really heavely culled i am told just a few roe left. ;)

Last edited:
50/50. The way deer are been treated in evermore places these days, I would think there's a great chance their hanging up somewhere not hiding up. My thoughts are exactly the same as 6 pointer's comments.

Davie theres not been a Fc stalker in that area for a lot of years Fc only have a very small patch in the area which has been cleared for over two years .

We all have dry days even the professionals, if it was that easy it would be boring.

Deer don't always move just for fun, if there getting plenty of food why move ,the ground isn't being disturbed had it been disturbed Chris wouldn't have shot the three Roe on Friday afternoon ,mmmmm 50/50 you've just got to let her apron strings go a bit more often .

Scotland just ain't Africa for you guys that are driving to Scotland it just might take as long to get here as it does Africa

But if your countrymen shared a bit more you wouldn't have to travel at all .

I'll go up tomorrow and let some more deer out the pen LOL.

Ha Ha Bob just ripping the pish i know whop 5050 is and were he shoots great bit of ground not been for a while but it will be the same as i remember deer every time we went. Get down to the bit of wood on the right hand side of the road it was always good when the weather was cold. I will pay that a visit soon and will show the lads some deer BB hut was always a good hit also ha ha :rofl:

Davie theres not been a Fc stalker in that area for a lot of years Fc only have a very small patch in the area which has been cleared for over two years .

We all have dry days even the professionals, if it was that easy it would be boring.

Deer don't always move just for fun, if there getting plenty of food why move ,the ground isn't being disturbed had it been disturbed Chris wouldn't have shot the three Roe on Friday afternoon ,mmmmm 50/50 you've just got to let her apron strings go a bit more often .

Scotland just ain't Africa for you guys that are driving to Scotland it just might take as long to get here as it does Africa

lol agree but not with the countrymen bit

There were deer everywhere the week before xmas, I saw 53 red and roe on our block in one day not far from Glen daruel and Tinnabruach. That is exceptional for our block but it shows the deer are still about.

ATB

Tahr

Sometimes they herd together in the most protected areas of the grounds (in my experience), where it is warmest and most sheltered from the wind. When in Summer/Autumn you can find deer all over the grounds, sometimes in winter you can walk all day, suddenly to find 75% of the deer within 1/2 square mile of each other, and should you miss that area of the grounds, you can have been out all day wondering where the hell the deer went:D

These ones hanging around in a shelterd block ready for a wee drive by :rofl:

RedDeer10milesfromcrief.jpg

Ok Rob, point taken...I guess I have been a bit spoilt by Africa and NZ:oops:

But seriously....the three roe were daft youngsters on the day we arrived and the only deer (or fresh sign) we both saw on the ground the whole weekend.

What I'd like to know... is where the bl**dy hell you've got em penned up?:D

50/50 It is sometimes hard to find the deer at this time of year and if they can they will eat little and stay still The area you are stalking i new very well and never had a problem locating deer. But there were time that i did need to think out side the box and change my normal routine .I know thats hard for you travelling that far but try and think about the lay of the lad the weather time of year and differnt areas away from that dam road down the centre. You will get back to winning ways as i have been told by Bob you are one of the top hitters in the group.

50/50 It is sometimes hard to find the deer at this time of year and if they can they will eat little and stay still The area you are stalking i new very well and never had a problem locating deer. But there were time that i did need to think out side the box and change my normal routine .I know thats hard for you travelling that far but try and think about the lay of the lad the weather time of year and differnt areas away from that dam road down the centre. You will get back to winning ways as i have been told by Bob you are one of the top hitters in the group.

thanks for the advice 6 pointer...as you can probably tell I've got a bit of an enquiring mind.. and figured there will be more experienced stalkers out there with some answers...so yes I need to start thinking outside the box.

As you know its not an easy ground to stalk with lots of cover favouring the deer.

I've also been told on numerous occasions, by other syndicate members to sit still and stop stomping about the place bumping deer, which is why the smart guys tend to ambush em on the road.

Now I'll just have to change tack and figure out where they are hiding... think I may have some ideas already:idea:

Cheers
50/50

hey cheeky wot you mean daft deer aint never met a daft deer we all no roe have a tendency to stop just before cover and have a look. and the other two spotted one by the edge and then waited then there were two the rest is history lol

Ok Rob, point taken...I guess I have been a bit spoilt by Africa and NZ:oops:

But seriously....the three roe were daft youngsters on the day we arrived and the only deer (or fresh sign) we both saw on the ground the whole weekend.

What I'd like to know... is where the bl**dy hell you've got em penned up?:D

mmmmmm, Ah, well, mmmmm ,now ,that right I don't have a clue or no ideer, ask Trevor. he'll know lol.

Thats why they call them wild Deer ,thats why they only belong to someone when there dead .

You'll find the Roe that were shot were a mix adults and juveniles , i can get 3/4 of then into a roe sack ,the Argyllshire Roe have never been monsters or had fantastic heads ,but taste good in pie's .

Its not the size it's how you use it .

There were deer everywhere the week before xmas, I saw 53 red and roe on our block in one day not far from Glen daruel and Tinnabruach. That is exceptional for our block but it shows the deer are still about.

ATB

Tahr

No
it shows their all on your bit;)
Probably standing there laughing watching 50/50 scratching his head wondering WTF am I doing wrong:D

Hey Bob your right about them Roe not the biggest but just as hard to stalk.Have you told 50/50 About the small moor at the end just by Old franks cottage They lay up there feeding away on the nitrogen rich heather all day. PS 50/50 you could nip in and see old frank for a coffee he will be mighty glad to see you. NOT:scared::rofl:. Its all fun and games thats why we do it. If you want a chat mate Phone lielow on 08981 696969

50/50 has, now here it is

Has shot more deer on here than the rest of the syndicate put together first dry day not to bad in 9 months ,now that was without poaching or a lamp .

Just good stalking I think .

Back