Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle esthetics?

Rifle esthetics?

I don't know about you lot but the look of a rifle is almost as important to me as the way it shoots and handles. As I'm sure you all know the basic utilitarian bolt action repeater has been around for over 100 years. The only real accepted new kid on the block is the Blaser R93 and that isn't an oil painting. Walnut and blued steel have their devotees and stainless/synthetic float others boats.
    Manafacturers are queing up to jump on the Blaser bandwagon, the problem is to me, personally at least they're all pig ugly. Some examples
    Merkel KR 1 and Helix
    Krieghoff Semprio
    InnoGun
    Strasser models
    Lynx
    And although they are conventional bolt actions the Steyr Pro Hunter series do nothing for me, unlike the SSG variants.The Mauser MO3 gets the thumbs up as does the Sauer 202 series, being bolt guns with interchangeable barrels and a cock/decock(MO3)
    What do you think? How long will the uber technical new super duper rifle remain popular compared to the humble bolt? Me, personally I have 2 Sako 75's and a Rem 700.

i also have 2 75's 1 is a finlite then a tikka 690 dlx an ansuhtz and just getting a mannlicher classic half stock.
    Yes looks count.
    Don't mind plastic 1 bit but don't like military looks.

Love the look of my Mannlicher Classic Half Stock, lovely wood & blued. Not a fan of synthetic or military types either, personally I think the conventional bolt action will be with us for some time to come.

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Two M03s and a Sako 85. Sako is sexy and the M03s are "Vorsprung dur Technik".

Bottom line is that I will eventually drop my Sako and just add barrels to the M03 (I have wood & synthetic).

Break down for travel, QD mounts that really do hold (combine with a good scope and zero change isn't an issue between settings), and a manual cock that's much better than a safety.

Stan

Yes they have to look good,but have to be used too.
    Blue and wood is the way to go.
    I think a lot of Blaser users shoot in the dark(or they should do)

+1 on looks. I reckon it's hard (impossible even) to beat a classic CRF sporter ('98,1640,'96,M70,550,M77 but not zkk - don't like the matt) with a fancy piece of walnut high quality chequring and nice bolt handle. I think anything less than 22" of barrel looks wrong, as does a moderator, as does anything that is not blue and walnut.

A lot of Sakos look good, but I reckon Sauer 202s are down there with Blasers, and even the M03 is unfortunate.

I do rather fancy a classic lever action though, but not the but ugly ones from Ruger, Savage or the Winchester 88. They've got to be a '73,'86,'92,'94, 36/336, 95 etc. yeah I may have missed some...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by john.d.m View Post
    Yes they have to look good,but have to be used too.
    Blue and wood is the way to go.
    I think a lot of Blaser users shoot in the dark(or they should do)
    Oh dear, he we go again.....I can see this thread descending into a slanging match already

Aesthetics is a branch of philosophy that places beauty above everything else.

With the rifle, I value accuracy and reliability far more than beauty. I don't want to have to worry about my rifle getting wet, scratched or otherwise abused. It's a tool for doing a job.

But then again, I own a Blaser

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi Willie, I do agree to a certain extent. Where guns are concerned I have always thought that our American cousins put practicality above appearance, probably stemming from the Old West days, whereas the English have placed appearance and practicality together. I have a very pretty Heym 44B in 7x57 and it gives me great pleasure to take it out for the odd stalk. Rather like my English side by side shotguns if there is nothing about I can look at the guns and enjoy the craftmanship, I seldom do that with the Beretta 391!!
    Hope the exquisite 28 is still doing its stuff!!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Hope the exquisite 28 is still doing its stuff!!
    It most certainly is! I am almost at the point of selling both the 12 and the 16 bore as they've barely been out of the gun cabinet this season.

The 28 really has been a revelation. On Saturday it even got to the point of our shoot captain telling me I was "in danger of becoming a seriously good shot" after I dropped a high crossing pigeon while he looked on The look on another guns face when I told him it was a 28 bore, not a 12, was a picture!

Moments like these are all too rare so I savour them when they come along

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Aesthetics, to me, have to be a balance between form and function. Therefore I love that my Sako Finnlight will do well under an inch at 100yds, especially at that price (I bought it well!), but I prefer to look at my Parker-Hale .308 which has wonderful wood, it is really pretty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker-Hale stock.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	4162

One of these days I will probably put my Finnlight into a laminate stock!

Yours in two minds, Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.