Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracers?

Tracers?

I have recently bought a new tikka t3 stainless steel in .223 and 400 rounds of military surplus ammo. Got the gun home on saturday night went out for a quick shot and was surprised to find that 1 in 5 bullets were a tracer round. Anyone ever used tracers before? I have been doing some reading online and some say they can damage your barrel others say they make no difference. I did nottice when i was buying the ammo that some rounds had a red tip painted on them and i asked why that was. The dealer just said thats the way they come, no mention of tracers haha

Quote Originally Posted by HoyBoy View Post
    I have recently bought a new tikka t3 stainless steel in .223 and 400 rounds of military surplus ammo. Got the gun home on saturday night went out for a quick shot and was surprised to find that 1 in 5 bullets were a tracer round. Anyone ever used tracers before? I have been doing some reading online and some say they can damage your barrel others say they make no difference. I did nottice when i was buying the ammo that some rounds had a red tip painted on them and i asked why that was. The dealer just said thats the way they come, no mention of tracers haha
    Don't think they'll damage your rifle, but they will not have the same ballistics as the other rounds, so don't use them for the purpose of target shooting. Use them at longer ranges when you are trying to learn the effect of wind. sometimes you can see the wind even roll a bullet left, then right, bringing it back on target, esp. if you are shooting between hills or in a place where there is wind circulation, etc.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoyBoy View Post
    I did nottice when i was buying the ammo that some rounds had a red tip painted on them and i asked why that was. The dealer just said thats the way they come, no mention of tracers haha
    Knows his stuff then. A tracer does not ignite straight away, well, it does, but will not show until about 80m out of the barrel, so it should have no effect on your barrel. This is my opinion anyway, so please don't take me to court........

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I think you should sell them to me...

Tracer ignites at 110 Meters and burns out at 1100 Meters, it will do no harm to your barrel, good for long range plinking as you can follow the round through to strike. Depending on your twist rate you may not be able to get the 5.56 to be stable.

Don't fire into bales of hay
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Or ranges that use recycled chopped up tyres as a backstop! They burn better than hay and for much longer!
    MS

I once had a batch of 22 rimfire tracers, very interesting to se what a bullet does in flight, but hopelessly innacurate. We used to use tracers when I was an armourer in the RAF for testing, they were reasonably accurate as I recall, but only over short ranges.

Well that all sounds pretty good to me. Yea i think il just seperate them out and try a few at a 200 yard target, if accuracy is bad i'l just save them for some fun night time rabbit shooting . They weren't expensive anyway