Shooting logs.

I have a restricted firearms license at the moment and i am applying for a un-restricted license, I am having a few problems with the Firearms dept as usual. They are insisting that a Shooting Log be kept, but on talking to other Shooters this restriction does not apply. Has anybody encountered similar problems.????:-|:rolleyes::oops::lol:

The obvious question is what's a 'Shooting Log'? Something you lean on as a rest when taking the shot? :D;):doh:

Seriously though, have they made this request to you in writing and given their justification for it? It would then be a relatively simple matter to challenge it if it is a 'blanket policy'. What force and how long have you had the FAC, any other restrictions on it? Maybe someone from the same force area can say if this is something that is being applied across the board or just the idea of an over-zealous FEO and applied to yourself.

The HO Guidance says regarding Territorial Conditions at Ch 10. 35 (a):

When a chief
officer is satisfied that a certificate holder has
gained sufficient experience with a particular
calibre or class of firearm the less restrictive
condition may be considered appropriate.

A shooting log hardly makes any sense to provide evidence of experience though, unless it is varified and witnessed by someone they nominate, due to absolutely anything being able to be recorded in it - 'shot 20 deer today' etc. etc. ;)

Last edited:
I'd be very careful with that. It could be used against you if you record something they don't like.

Simply tell them that you have had to turn down shooting because quite often people have a problem Fox etc that needs dealing with now, not in six weeks when they've finally got around to passing it! They can see your round count on your FAC to see how much you shoot!

chin them off sounds daft, a mentor condition makes more sense than this. What is ther justification for puting this condition on you?

Dave

The more stories I read about totally unjustifiable conditions, the more I think that FEO's are using the pending uncertainties surrounding the firearms application process as an excuse to extract the urine :mad:

Firearms review? bring it on, it can't be any worse than the fascade we have now.... can it? :-|

chin them off sounds daft, a mentor condition makes more sense than this. What is ther justification for puting this condition on you?

Dave
Yes I have had it in writing asking for a shooting record. I have had a FAC approx 12 years. Only been shooting Deer for 3 years, including 3 times stalking Reds in Scotland. I am a member of SACS but was waiting for feedback before contacting them. I also have friends in local area that shoot Deer that have never been asked to keep a recrord even though we are all covered by the same Firearms Dept. Avon & Somerset. I know it sounds strange but perhaps some of us are a bit gullible. Cheers for the feedback...
All the Best. RICH....................:rolleyes::lol:

Ask them if there is an approved document of guidance for filling one. Gives you a great chance to say depending on the response..

'so it's just an idea you made up locally then and nothing to do with the home office guidance then?'

Hi.
As usual every time I try and speak to anybody direct at the Firearms Dept, there in a meeting, on holiday. out of the office. gone shopping or anywhere else apart from where they should be.

Tell them you prefer to shoot watermelons than logs....

You never know, it might even raise a smile.

Better still.... cut a log and take it with you every time you go out shooting.

Next renewal show it to him and when he says "what's that?" say "it's my shooting log"

:D
Remember the log lady in Twin Peaks?

Last edited:
As usual every time I try and speak to anybody direct at the Firearms Dept, there in a meeting, on holiday. out of the office. gone shopping or anywhere else apart from where they should be.

You'll read it time and time again on here.............................................. put it in writing and ask for a written response - it can have a remarkable effect on their thinking. There must be an email addy for the dept - via the contact page on the main force website maybe?

Anyhows, if Ian from SACS is getting involved I doubt you'll have a problem for long. ;)

Back