Thread: First rifle

First rifle

I bought my first rifle today, I canít wait to fit the scope and put some rounds through it!
    I ended up going for a Steyr Mannlicher pro hunter MK2 (6,5 x 55) as I will be shooting from sticks most of the time and not with a bi-pod.
    Has anyone any recommendations in terms of ammo type that shoot well from this rifle and that arenít silly expensive. The card it came with recommended Federal 140gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage Maker View Post
    I bought my first rifle today, I can’t wait to fit the scope and put some rounds through it!
    I ended up going for a Steyr Mannlicher pro hunter MK2 (6,5 x 55) as I will be shooting from sticks most of the time and not with a bi-pod.
    Has anyone any recommendations in terms of ammo type that shoot well from this rifle and that aren’t silly expensive. The card it came with recommended Federal 140gr.
    federal 140gn is a good place to start , should but dont quote me give an inch out of the box ! (well mine did)

i used them on muntys to reds with no problems at all !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Fairly readily available ammo is:
    Federal 140 grain
    Nosler BT 120 grain
    Privvi 139 grain (i think - there may even be a 150 ish grain version as well)

Iu have the prohunter and i don't have much confidence in the Noslers (inn terms of grouping) but this is most likely my rifle or me, i know a few other who use them regularly.

If you can get hold of any, the Privvi soft point is supposed to be great (subject to your rifle likeing it) and at £8 a box its cheap as chips. I'm hoping to pick some up this weekend.

My suggestion would be to pick up a box of everything they have on offer in your local RFD (but consider future availability) subject to your ammo allowances. Try it all and then pick one which groups the best and stick to it.

I'm still trying different brands in mine, just about to try the federal and privvi (if i can get any this weekend).

if the rifle is second hand and it likes federal then i'd stick with it (if it ain't broke....)

All the best and enjoy

Jim

Thanks for the advice,
    I will have to hunt around and see who has 6,5 x 55 available in the north east and try a few.

Have a trip to Henry Kranks down in Yorkshire and fill your FAC allowance with the 139gn soft points, you cannot reload for less!!

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage Maker View Post
    Thanks for the advice,
    I will have to hunt around and see who has 6,5 x 55 available in the north east and try a few.
    Bradford Stalker at Birtley has 140gn Winchesters @ £24 a box or Emma Custom Rifles at Darlington does 139gn Partizans for £11.

Mine prefers the Winchesters but at eleven quid a box you have to try them!

Try three or four types and what every shoots the tightest groups keep even if they are a wee bit dearer. If you are counting on deer in the bag make sure your gun is at its best.