Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What luck!! Sweden here I come!!

What luck!! Sweden here I come!!

Whilst at a large meeting at work today, I was talking to a Swedish colleague of mine. I had never met the guy before. I mentioned that I would love to visit Sweden one day.

He asked what the reason was I was so keen to visit. I mentioned that I was a keen stalker and would like to one day have a stalking trip to Sweden in the hope of getting an elk (moose). To my extreme surprise he said, I am also a hunter

Needless to say the rest of the day was not quite as boring as most of these corporate meetings normally are.

He had never seen nor heard of a muntjac, one of his responses was " a deer with tusks, are you sure?" and after trading a few stories he offered to take me out in Sweden to try for a moose or caribou or even both!!! What he wants in return is a chance of a muntjac.

Has anyone else been stalking in Sweden?
    What are the airlines like with transfer of firearms?
    What calibre would be recommended with shooting elk (moose)?
    What is the best time of year to go to Sweden stalking, taking into account weather, seasons etc?

I have been grinning from ear to ear since I left the meeting, just want to get a date in the diary now.

He is going to speak to 2 of his mates and they may also come over for the muntjac, so 2 of my lucky, soon to be decided mates will also be able to come!!!! They definitely owe me a beer or two!!!

Cheers

Ross
    Last edited by 270Buck; 11-01-2011 at 23:21.

Now that's a big score..... well done!!

Hi Ross, good to hear from you. Haven't seen you in ages. How are you, mate? Can I come to Sweden with you? Only joking . Enjoy the trip, and post some photo's. ATB, M68.

nice one that is a good day out at work,ask gadget about flights and rifles as hes been ,i do know he went with his 270 and after watching his moose drop to the 270 /130 grain round was extremly pleased ,atb wayne

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    r.atkinson It is indeed a lucky day for you,not only a trip to Sweden hunting moose but a trip to Australia hunting sambar ....the only issue is I have to be one of your mates going to Sweden

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by r.atkinson View Post
    [SIZE=2]He had never seen nor heard of a muntjac, one of his responses was " a deer with tusks, are you sure?" and after trading a few stories he offered to take me out in Sweden to try for a moose or caribou or even both!!! What he wants in return is a chance of a muntjac.
    ....and to think of the comments I've had when I've questioned the "shoot on sight" policy for muntjac We have French, Belgians, Dutch, Spanish, Swedes and others all keen to come and shoot muntjac yet still some see them just like a pest.

Ross

Fantastic job - well done. You'll have a great time in Sweden I'm sure. Looking forward to reading the write up already

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi Ross
    Nice one mate. We got three lads from Sweden over for Muntjac in 3 weeks time on the home fixture of a swap hunt, looking forward to the return trip.

Ryan air fly out of Stanstead to Gothenburg but dont take rifles ok if your borrowing one.
    Thats the way our guy's are coming in. Since found a Airline that flys into Birmingham called cityairlines dearer than Ryan air but for us saves the trek down to Stanstead.

Have fun

Hopefully see you in the spring

Wayne
    Last edited by WAYNE DAVIES; 12-01-2011 at 09:27.

R I have hunted Elk in Sweden . The Elk season starts the second Monday in October (in southern Sweden) .The sketch is that you are given a high seat /stand and the Elk are driven towards the waiting rifles using an Elk hound or beaters , on some hunts you are allowed to shoot other quarry (fox.roe,pigs) on most you are allowed to shoot only Elk. There will also lots of other rules about what size and sex Elk you can shoot,but these will be explained.
    The most common calibre the Swedes shoot is the 65x55 . I use my .270 with a minimum140 grain bullet I normally fly with SAS airlines and.. have faced no problems at either end. The most enjoyable thing about hunting in Sweden is the commeraderie between the hunters ,the memories of sitting around the camp fire in the forest will stay with me.

PS if you like a drink take a bottle with you as it difficult to buy in Sweden

let us know how you get on Chill

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    R I have hunted Elk in Sweden . The Elk season starts the second Monday in October (in southern Sweden) .The sketch is that you are given a high seat /stand and the Elk are driven towards the waiting rifles using an Elk hound or beaters , on some hunts you are allowed to shoot other quarry (fox.roe,pigs) on most you are allowed to shoot only Elk. There will also lots of other rules about what size and sex Elk you can shoot,but these will be explained.
    The most common calibre the Swedes shoot is the 65x55 . I use my .270 with a minimum140 grain bullet I normally fly with SAS airlines and.. have faced no problems at either end. The most enjoyable thing about hunting in Sweden is the commeraderie between the hunters ,the memories of sitting around the camp fire in the forest will stay with me.

PS if you like a drink take a bottle with you as it difficult to buy in Sweden

let us know how you get on Chill
    Hi Chill,

I have got some Sako 156 grain rounds which sounds like will be good for the job. From my conversation with my Swedish colleague as well as driving them to guns they also stalk elk which is what I would prefer anyway.

I will have a look at SAS airlines, I would prefer to take my own rifle as I know I can rely on it. I will have to leave it in the freezer overnight before I leave so it can get used to the cold. LOL. Are moderators allowed in Sweden? I know for example Germany and the Netherlands they are not legal.

I have already been warned about the price of drink, so 3 bottles of old macallan will be packed in my case, well I will need something to warm my cockles at night!!! They are saying that the temperature does not get above -15c at this time of year!!

Do you know when the season ends for elk?

I will be calling my colleague next week when he is back from England to try and get a date in the diary.

I will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE DAVIES View Post
    Hi Ross
    Nice one mate. We got three lads from Sweden over for Muntjac in 3 weeks time on the home fixture of a swap hunt, looking forward to the return trip.

Ryan air fly out of Stanstead to Gothenburg but dont take rifles ok if your borrowing one.
    Thats the way our guy's are coming in. Since found a Airline that flys into Birmingham called cityairlines dearer than Ryan air but for us saves the trek down to Stanstead.

Have fun

Hopefully see you in the spring

Wayne
    Hi Wayne,

When are you going over, if we can plan it well it may coincide, is it elk you are going after too? I am not fusy, if we can't find any elk, caribou are also in the area.

I will have a look at the sirlines that fly to Sweden, I will probably try to fly to Stockholm as that is where Jens lives and we can then travel together in his 4x4.

Stanstead is not too far for me, so I can see my Mrs dropping me off and picking me up........not that she knows it yet!!!

Will definitely like to meet up in Spring, will give you a call soon.

Cheers

Ross