Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: legal question

legal question

My daughter's father-in-law lives in Tain. He does not hold a FAC. Is it possible for him to buy a moderator? Bring it south, give it to me and I tie it in and register it on my FAC. IE cut out rfd fees.
    Jim

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    My daughter's father-in-law lives in Tain. He does not hold a FAC. Is it possible for him to buy a moderator? Bring it south, give it to me and I tie it in and register it on my FAC. IE cut out rfd fees.
    Jim
    I'd get the inlaw to ask Gregor (assuming that's where you'd be buying)

Short answer is no ! Same as him picking up a rifle and bringing it down to you .

The risk is Macleod lose their RFD you lose your ticket and all three of you become HMP residents.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Short answer is no ! Same as him picking up a rifle and bringing it down to you .

The risk is Macleod lose their RFD you lose your ticket and all three of you become HMP residents.

Really... Is it that cut and dried?

Here's what Jackson Rifles put up on their web pages.

In Great Britain, detachable suppressors or "sound moderators" which are intended for use as accessories for Section 1 or Section 5 (prohibited) weapons are subject to Section 1 licensing controls and cannot be purchased directly by mail order. We can only deliver them to a registered firearms dealer.

Seems fairly straightforward that, doesn't it?

but...

Would the inlaw "intend" using it as an accessory for S1 or S5 firearms... Not according to what Jimbo says. So how would he break the law in purchasing it and by reciprocal thinking how would the supplier be breaking the law by selling it to him?

Does Jimbo have the slot on his ticket for one... if we assume yes... how would he be breaking the law if he is the end receiver/user of the moderator.

Does the moderator need to be proofed?

again I refer you to Jackson Rifles web pages:

A. Summary and recommendations:
    1. In the absence of any court decision to the contrary, we are advised that a suppressor or sound moderator, which is a freely removable accessory, designed to be interchangeable between weapons of different types and calibres, ought not to be considered to be a "part of a Small Arm". Such an accessory is not liable to fall within the definition of a "Barrel" in the Gun Barrel Proof Act 1868.
    How straightforward is the answer now?

The answer lies in wether he may or may not , have intent to use!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It would not happen. However the scenario is unfolding where it could be done, legally. The F-in-l Has no interest in Firearms so as stated he has no use for the mod as it is entended so no legal reason to refuse sale. I doubt if Gregor would sell him one. But that is by the way.
    Another legal idiocincracy,
    Jim

Jim, It could not be done legally. The definition of a firearm under section 1 Firearms Act 1968 includes all component parts and accessories. The moderator immaterial of your F-I-L ,s intent to pass it onto you is an accessory for a section 1 firearm and therefore in itself requires the person in possession to have an FAC with an entitlement to hold that mod. Section 57 of said act gives definition.

I was talking to a chap and he said some thing about some Moderators not being calibre specific and that some would drop on an air rifle if he was to buy it as an air rifle mod and then transfer it to you as a cf mod i cant see him brakeing the law would be down to the RFD i think.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Jim, It could not be done legally. The definition of a firearm under section 1 Firearms Act 1968 includes all component parts and accessories. The moderator immaterial of your F-I-L ,s intent to pass it onto you is an accessory for a section 1 firearm and therefore in itself requires the person in possession to have an FAC with an entitlement to hold that mod. Section 57 of said act gives definition.
    Scopes?... Slings?... Bipods? ..... They are all accessories/component parts on my rifles, I don't recall showing a certificate to get any of those.

When we want firearms kit we all have to factor in all the R.F.D expenses/costs, why even try to have someone compromise their ethics/livelihood by asking them a compromising question?