Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in a new barrel

Shooting in a new barrel

Can anyone tell me if I need to shoot in the barrel on my new Blaser ?
    Should I do the 1shot and clean process ?

Callum Fergusons website advises 3 shot group clean for 3 groups followed by 3 five shot groups for custom, lapped barrels. Factory rough barrels may respond more to shoot one clean one till the cleaning process becomes easier. The Lilja website has a borescope video for anyone who doubts the difference between factory and custom barrels.

I put 25rnds through my r8 in groups of 3 letting the barrel cool, after approx 18rnds the group was gettin tighter, now its on the money this was the way that Paul Hill ( pro stalker blaser & range owner) assisted me with my new rifle hope this info is useful

Quote Originally Posted by longlowdog View Post
    Callum Fergusons website advises 3 shot group clean for 3 groups followed by 3 five shot groups for custom, lapped barrels. Factory rough barrels may respond more to shoot one clean one till the cleaning process becomes easier. The Lilja website has a borescope video for anyone who doubts the difference between factory and custom barrels.
    Ahhh well cut rifled barrels always used to be lapped at one time then due to cost cutting it got left out then they moved to Button rifling and hammer forging. Faster and so cheaper in the long run and Button riflign is cheaper that hammer forging as it needs less expensive machinery.

As I was pushed for time in getting the rifle to proof I fired one round then cleaned and inspected after chambering then fired Five more as I needed three cases for the proof hosue to use and I wanted three dummy rounds to check feeding. The barrel was then cleaned and any fouling removed with Forest Bore foam before it went to proof. As it's still not back I have not seen what condition it's in now after proof. This is a hammer forged barrel and seems to be very smooth I wonder if it will help or not breaking it in especially as it has at least 9 rounds down the barrel now.

I had a factory 25-06 that had a hand lapped barrel that was a pig to clean from shot one to 300 when I sold it but it was an accurate rifle. The Lothar Walther barrel on my Roedale rifle needs virtually no effort to clean. I guess it's best to treat every one as an individual and if the early shots are hard to clean then the break in must be taken more seriously than one that cleans with minimal effort from the outset.

Ahhh longlowdog did you check the actual bore dimension?

I ask because I have a .270 that fouls easily and then noticed it was tight in the bore. It's tighter than the other .270 rifles I have which jumps up the pressures quicker and due to the tighter bullet fit is fouls quicker. The P-H 12-06 I picked up decemebr 2009 that has a tight bore too. The .25 Cal spud for my collimeter will only just enter the muzzle and normally there is some play in them. This one fouls a bit quicker than one would expect.

Edit:- Oh both of these have hammer forged barrels as far as I am aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhh longlowdog did you check the actual bore dimension?

I ask because I have a .270 that fouls easily and then noticed it was tight in the bore. It's tighter than the other .270 rifles I have which jumps up the pressures quicker and due to the tighter bullet fit is fouls quicker. The P-H 12-06 I picked up decemebr 2009 that has a tight bore too. The .25 Cal spud for my collimeter will only just enter the muzzle and normally there is some play in them. This one fouls a bit quicker than one would expect.

Edit:- Oh both of these have hammer forged barrels as far as I am aware.
    You are maybe making an assumption here, hammer-forged barrels generally are choked towards muzzle.. read tapered mandrel therefore 'tighter at muzzle'.
    Unless, of course, you have measured the bore of your rifle from chamber end...!

when alan rhone was the importer there was a forum on his website and someone else asked tthe same question, he said just shoot em. my mates .243 R93 had 400 rounds through it before it was first cleaned and it shoots fine, sub 1" groups at 300 yards! if iy makes you feel better, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    You are maybe making an assumption here, hammer-forged barrels generally are choked towards muzzle.. read tapered mandrel therefore 'tighter at muzzle'.
    Unless, of course, you have measured the bore of your rifle from chamber end...!
    Yes we have to make an assumption because as yet I do not have an accurate means of measuring the bore in front of the throat. The Spud does not want to enter the bore from the chamber easily but as it's difficult to get dead true it might be that effecting it. I hope to make up a gauge to check the bore with however other things are in front of that project right now. Now i have not noticed any tightness in the 7x57 anf that too is a hammer forged barrel and a BSA too. I acquired that rifle as new so it's not had a lot of use so wear is not a factor.

I have also not noticed this tightness at the muzzle on the Parker-Hales and they also have hammer forged barrels .