Thread: Lots of Roe road kill this week in Somerset

Lots of Roe road kill this week in Somerset

Last night (6.30pm ish)travelling from Taunton up to Langport I saw 2 very fresh roe road kills just before Fiveheads. The road here climbs up a heavily wooded escarpement and is a regular site for all sorts of road kill, but 2 roe in 100yds seemed quite a lot to me. This am traveling back down the Stourhead road I saw another freshly killed roe. Incidentally the two roe I saw at Fiveheads had been removed.

It was very windy and wet so I wonder with the combination of very poor visibility and noise were the roe just unlucky or are they moving a lot more.

Incidentaly I don't know who stalks the ground around Fiveheads but there seems to be a very large roe popultion in the area.

D

Might be worthwhile banging on a few doors locally then.

I used to do a quite a bit around there about 15 years ago. The RSPB West Sedgemoor bird sanctuary runs down through Swell woods and across the Somerset Levels, and is adjacent to where you saw the two splattered roe. It's common to see quite a few out on the levels if you sit in one of the hides in the evening, so the recent flooding is probably driving them up to the dryer wooded areas running parallel to the road between Hatch Beauchamp and Langport.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Might be worthwhile banging on a few doors locally then.

I used to do a quite a bit around there about 15 years ago. The RSPB West Sedgemoor bird sanctuary runs down through Swell woods and across the Somerset Levels, and is adjacent to where you saw the two splattered roe. It's common to see quite a few out on the levels if you sit in one of the hides in the evening, so the recent flooding is probably driving them up to the dryer wooded areas running parallel to the road between Hatch Beauchamp and Langport.
    I think i know the chap who stalks this area. I`ll phone him to check it out.
    basil.
    Edited to add. The whole area is well covered by stalkers.
    Last edited by basil; 13-01-2011 at 14:08.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

If mum gets killed, kids often hang around to suffer the same fate on a busy road, seen this a couple of times....

just to repeat what basil has said this area is well covered by stalkers

bob

Thanks for the replies, wasn't thinking of making any enquiries re the stalking, but it does appear that the incumbants may need to be a bit more active!!!! Pity to see so many roe culled in this way.

D

RTA's not a real sign of high deer population. It could be disturbance or deer travelling on or off moor due to food or flooding. Just one of those things. Obviously stalking in the area is taken but there are always voids and opportunities to be had.

Stalk the area a bit and do the RTA callouts too. Lots of call-outs regularly round there, but not an unusually high population compared to some. A lot do lay up in Swell wood. Busy road, blind bends and rises and plenty of places near the road to feel secure is what I'd guess causes all the RTAs. Probably keeps numbers down as effectively as the stalkers round those parts!