Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full stock dilemma

Post Full stock dilemma

Hello everybody. Brain picking time please.
    I know there have been threads before about full stocks, but I cant seem to find any that answer my questions. I have always liked the look of the full stock rifles, but never known anyone with one and Ive seen a very nice Steyr full stock in .308.
    What I was wondering is, are they vastly different from a half stock rifle to shoot?, if theyre different at all.
    What, if any, difference does the shorter barrel make to the rifles performance?
    Its stated that due to their shorter length they make ideal woodland stalking rifles, but does that mean that they make less than ideal rifles for the open hill?
    And what about maintenance. Because the barrel isnt floating are there any pitfalls regarding looking after the rifle or not.
    Sorry to be a pain with all the questions, but as I said, I dont know anyone with one to ask!
    Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
    Last edited by Glyn Walsh; 13-01-2011 at 16:58. Reason: Havent got a clue what Im doing

Hmmm well...

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn Walsh View Post
    I know there have been threads before about full stocks, but I cant seem to find any that answer my questions. I have always liked the look of the full stock rifles, but never known anyone with one and Ive seen a very nice Steyr full stock in .308.
    What I was wondering is, are they vastly different from a half stock rifle to shoot?,if theyre different at all. ...................Nope not physically at least

What, if any, difference does the shorter barrel make to the rifles performance? ... You will lose a bit of velocity. This can be mitigated against by handloading with slightly faster powders. I have a BSA CF2 in 270 Win which has a 20" barrel and shoots very nicelt using H-380 Powder and 130 grain bullets.

Its stated that due to their shorter length they make ideal woodland stalking rifles, but does that mean that they make less than ideal rifles for the open hill? ... Well I used mine to win the clubs 600 yards shoot using that H-380 130 Gr Nosler Ballistic tip load two years running until they changed the rules to ban it's use that was quite a few years back now not long after acquiring the rifle. I think 600 yards should cover it .

And what about maintenance. Because the barrel isnt floating are there any pitfalls regarding looking after the rifle or not.... Well I rub a spot of oil into the walnut once evey year or so. Make sure the screws are tight and clean the bore when required... .
    Sorry to be a pain with all the questions, but as I said, I dont know anyone with one to ask!
    Not a problem there is somethign aboutt eh look of the "Stutzen" that has always appealed..

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    .................there is somethign aboutt eh look of the "Stutzen" that has always appealed..
    Ain't that a fact.

Attachment 4199

My former business partner shot everything with a Sauer 90 Stutzen in .243 - roe to big woodland red stags via goats and anything else you care to think of. The only slight potential difficulty that I can think of is if you stalk in conifers a lot, then it might be a bit more difficult to clear out any needles that lodge underneath the barrel, (depending on model). Other than that, IMHO it's all positive, I'm looking and would grab the right one, (see above ), in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn Walsh View Post
    What I was wondering is, are they vastly different from a half stock rifle to shoot?, if theyre different at all.
    What, if any, difference does the shorter barrel make to the rifles performance?
    Its stated that due to their shorter length they make ideal woodland stalking rifles, but does that mean that they make less than ideal rifles for the open hill?
    And what about maintenance. Because the barrel isnt floating are there any pitfalls regarding looking after the rifle or not.
    You would be much better off getting a BSA CF2 Stutzen in .270 just like the one Brithunter was speaking of. As luck would have it, I have one for sale! JC

Glyn

1 Installing a moderator might be a bit challenging.
    2 Niche items can look wonderfully appealing when buying them, but can be very tricky to sell.

Rgds JCS

I have bought myself a mannlicher L stutzen in 308 while i was having a rifle built , i wish i had this before it might of saved me abit of money .Or and by the way it shoots very well.

I have one in 30.06 ive shot boar in close woodland reds on the hill fallow, roe , sika , muntjac and fox with it . As for moderators who needs them and if you look after a gun it will last a lifetime so why would you sell it

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    I have one in 30.06 ive shot boar in close woodland reds on the hill fallow, roe , sika , muntjac and fox with it . As for moderators who needs them and if you look after a gun it will last a lifetime so why would you sell it
    +1

Sound Mods have a place and I do have one but do not use it all the time. A "Stutzen" with a mod is even worse than a placcky stock.. Darn it no huey emoticon .

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    I hope you use some form of ear protection, I can tell you hearing damage from gunfire is not fun, if you shoot a CF rifle enough it will happen.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    I hope you use some form of ear protection, I can tell you hearing damage from gunfire is not fun, if you shoot a CF rifle enough it will happen.

ATB

Tahr
    Well I have suffered with tinitus for years, Engineering is LOUD too, I brought my sound mod as more places are demanding the use of them. The new range will require the use of sound mods for shooting during certian hours.

Now according to this every single soldier from the trenches of WW1 should have been totally deaf......................... but they were not. Oh that reminds me I need to new foam plugs .

As for the debris down the barrel channel on the BSA CF2 Stutzen it's a non issue really as there is not enough room for said debris .