Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Itchy hands from roe blood.

Itchy hands from roe blood.

I was asking a pal yesterday if he also experienced itchy hands after gralloching roe as I do.If I can only get a quick swill of the hands in a nearby burn or have to use moss to clean the blood off, my hands (especially the backs) will itch intensely untill I can get them washed in warm water and soap. This only happens with roe.
    It would appear to be quite a common occurence. Do others get the same?. If so why only roe?. Can anyone give a good reason for such a human skin reaction to only roedeer blood and not that of red,fallow or sika?.
    S.

Use gloves mate most do it saves a lot of mess and they can be disposed of later

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Use gloves mate most do it saves a lot of mess and they can be disposed of later
    In my experience "most don't".
    Unfortunately you have not answered my question....have you also experienced itchy hands when not covered by gloves?

seams strange, is it just the blood drying on the hairs on the back of your hands?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    seams strange, is it just the blood drying on the hairs on the back of your hands?

Dave
    Presumably red and fallow deer blood dries on the backs of my hands also?.. without the same effect.
    S.

minor allergy to something different in the roe blood that is an absolute fluke you react to it. but what

You are right some dont use gloves

But thats a choice you have my self have never sufferd from itchy hands but i still ware gloves saves any problem of allergy,s

I never wear gloves. I hate the loss of feeling.

hi s .i to have experienced this itching but only after getting stomach contents on my hands.i had always thought it might be nettles but i have never knowingly seen (roe) eating them cheers j

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    hi s .i to have experienced this itching but only after getting stomach contents on my hands.i had always thought it might be nettles but i have never knowingly seen (roe) eating them cheers j
    Bandit,
    Try shooting them a bit further forward or not bursting the rumen during gralloching!!!.....
    But seriously, no, its not stomach contents. There are no stinging nettles in leaf in January.Its most certainly blood.
    Regards
    S.