Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Moderator,nvn

  1. #1

    Moderator,nvn

    Hi guys I'm just wondering how I stand I have just put in a variation for a .243 from a .22-250.I have a moderator from my .22-250 which is proofed up to 25 cal and is on my cert as no visible name or number,the firearms licensing dept said "thats not a problem we'll just put it on yor new cert as a .243 moderator" so far so good,now the thing is I have seen a .243 offered for sale at a dealers complete with mod,the rifle is a heavy barrel model so my mod that I have is only threaded 1/2 " unf so wont fit the new rifle so could I buy the new rifle and mod and then sell my existing mod "off ticket" or would I have to sell my mod and put in a variation for a different mod before I buy the rifle and mod any help on this matter would be appreciated
    Thanks Jase.

  2. #2
    As i understand it, as you are essencially swapping from a 22-250 to a .243 you will need to either sell the 22-250 or lodge it with an RFD for sale on comission FIRST. Once you have done this you put in for the variation (change from a 22-250 to .243) and when this comes back buy the new rifle and mod you have seen (having already put a deposit down on it first to secure if of course )

    I stand to be corrected but thats how i understand that it'll need to go. Hoipe it helps

    Jim

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft Dog View Post
    As i understand it, as you are essencially swapping from a 22-250 to a .243 you will need to either sell the 22-250 or lodge it with an RFD for sale on comission FIRST. Once you have done this you put in for the variation (change from a 22-250 to .243) and when this comes back buy the new rifle and mod you have seen (having already put a deposit down on it first to secure if of course )

    I stand to be corrected but thats how i understand that it'll need to go. Hoipe it helps

    Jim
    Thanks for the reply Jim,I have already put the variation in and because the mod in my posession is not calibre specific and could also be used on a .243 my fld said they will just alter the calibre on my cert,the thing I would like to know is would I be able to buy the new rifle and mod and then sell my current mod off ticket,providing the dealer would sell the new mod as N.V.N
    Jase.

  4. #4
    The only way I can see you getting round it is to buy the mod from the dealer as an air rifle moderator. Then you could hold one of them as an air rifle mod and one as the one on the gun. Then you could sell whichever one you want as an air rifle mod and that's that. It's all a bit of a grey area though!

    Other option is to ask your RFD to take your mod off of you and give you the one with the rifle for a small fee. There's no need for a variation as it's not listed with a serial number on your FAC. Strictly speaking you're probably supposed to go the variation route but that's just silly and nobody does! Even my FEO suggested that was the best way to go about it!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    The only way I can see you getting round it is to buy the mod from the dealer as an air rifle moderator. Then you could hold one of them as an air rifle mod and one as the one on the gun. Then you could sell whichever one you want as an air rifle mod and that's that. It's all a bit of a grey area though!

    Other option is to ask your RFD to take your mod off of you and give you the one with the rifle for a small fee. There's no need for a variation as it's not listed with a serial number on your FAC. Strictly speaking you're probably supposed to go the variation route but that's just silly and nobody does! Even my FEO suggested that was the best way to go about it!
    Cheers mate ,Thats what I was thinking ,but wasn't sure.
    Jase.

  6. #6
    exchange/swap your mod for the new one its the only quick way round it,your mod is proofed so it would have to go to a cert/RFD holder anyway.i take it you no longer have the 22-250 but have kept the mod,and your new cert only has acquire .243? so its either put in for .243 mod after you've sold 22-250 (one for one) or sort of swapsies with it having NVN

  7. #7
    I bought a proofed mod for my air rifle some time ago and relegated the SAK to the junk drawer. Moderator law is very strange. It seems it's only a firearm if it's specifically listed on your FAC or is fitted to your gun.

    How could you possibly prove which mod was which if it's legal to buy a proofed mod off ticket and they're not numbered/named? I swap mine around all the time! That was especially the case when I had two black SAKs for my rimfires... I'd challenge anyone to tell me which fitted the .22 or .17!

  8. #8
    Just out of interest, what is the mod you're selling/swapping?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    Just out of interest, what is the mod you're selling/swapping?
    It's a T4 au

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    I bought a proofed mod for my air rifle some time ago and relegated the SAK to the junk drawer. Moderator law is very strange. It seems it's only a firearm if it's specifically listed on your FAC or is fitted to your gun.

    How could you possibly prove which mod was which if it's legal to buy a proofed mod off ticket and they're not numbered/named? I swap mine around all the time! That was especially the case when I had two black SAKs for my rimfires... I'd challenge anyone to tell me which fitted the .22 or .17!
    Hi NJC110381
    Just curious as to why you relegated the sak to the junk drawer they seem to have quite a good reputation and i was thinking of trying one on my 22wmr so if you don't intend to use it pm me and we can arrange something. Sorry for hijacking the thread
    Geordie

Similar Threads

  1. T 8 Moderator barrel screw fitting to rear of moderator
    By philip in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 19:59
  2. Best Moderator ??
    By Uncle Buck in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 08:52
  3. moderator
    By AndrewT059 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 12:24
  4. New Moderator
    By JAYB in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-07-2008, 10:03
  5. Moderator
    By Pom in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 26-09-2007, 19:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •