Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best thing to do with shoulder ???

Best thing to do with shoulder ???

What is the consensus on the best thing to do with a shoulder of venison?
    I tend to just mince it up and make burger/sausage but I want to do something a bit more exciting...
    Any thoughts?

Cut it into stew, great for currys.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Cube it for casserole, or bone it so it is in one piece, then roll it and tie it with No.5 butcher string into a roasting joint. This is best done by keeping the rib flank and shoulder fillet all attached to the shoulder when you remove it. The shoulder fillet and boned shoulder are then rolled up in the large flat rib flank.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Cube it for casserole, or bone it so it is in one piece, then roll it and tie it with No.5 butcher string into a roasting joint. This is best done by keeping the rib flank and shoulder fillet all attached to the shoulder when you remove it. The shoulder fillet and boned shoulder are then rolled up in the large flat rib flank.
    MS
    Great roasted, left to cool then sliced for using in rolls/sandwiches, a touch of salt is all it needs.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I go with rolled shoulder pot roast. Very nice.

Depends on what deer but a amall roe deer aint really that great to roll so i just mince and sausge and burgers meat balls etc.

Munty or Roe in the slow cooker for the day with root veg, remove the bones and enjoy!

Wrap it in smoked bacon and a few herbs. Loosely parcel in tin foil and slow roast.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Maybe do as I just did for Sika shins and any tougher bits. Cook it like lamb Kleftiko , just sustitute the lamb for Deer...cook for several hours in the slow cooker....superb!..Dont forget the bay leaves!

I cooked a shoulder from a Roe the other day, just left it on the bone, rubbed on Rosemary and garlic in olive oil, covered dish with tin foil and cooked at 140'c for 4 1/2 hours. It just fell of the bone, fantastic.