Tikka m55

wildfowler.250

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info on the above rifle please? I may have acquired one in .22-250 but I haven't got it sent up yet :D I think I have read something about the bolt arrangement being funny or it is possible to assemble it wrong? How likely,(and much £? :eek:) are you to be able to acquire a spare magazine if you need one? I would also very much appreciate if someone could show me a picture of what they look like? :rolleyes: Also any bullet types/weights that would be good in the rifle?

Apologies for the twenty questions but I managed to come across a new one,(which i hastily went for) and I have never heard a bad word about the older tikkas.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

i had the deluxe model in 22/250 and it was a fantastic rifle stock fits like a glove,i liked it so much that when the barell was shot out i got it rebarelled in 308 and it is still my main deer rifle.spare magazines are very scarce and ive been looking for one for ages but no joy,actions are excellent and very strong and i have not had any problems with bolt.It shot factory ammo very well in22/250 but i reload and used 55grain vmax with 39 grains of h380 and it would shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100yards all day long,tried the 50 grain vmax but definetly preffered the 55s,cant do any photos as my camera was stolen but it should be self explanatory putting together,i have never heard ayone who has one of these complain about them!

i had the deluxe model in 22/250 and it was a fantastic rifle stock fits like a glove,i liked it so much that when the barell was shot out i got it rebarelled in 308 and it is still my main deer rifle.spare magazines are very scarce and ive been looking for one for ages but no joy,actions are excellent and very strong and i have not had any problems with bolt.It shot factory ammo very well in22/250 but i reload and used 55grain vmax with 39 grains of h380 and it would shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100yards all day long,tried the 50 grain vmax but definetly preffered the 55s,cant do any photos as my camera was stolen but it should be self explanatory putting together,i have never heard ayone who has one of these complain about them!

Thank you very much for the reply! It all sounds very promising :D I'm assuming that once the rifle is shot out I could rebarrel to a .243/6mmbr if I wanted?
It was more if anyone had any pics or links to an actual m55 that I was interested in. Do they fit Macmillan stocks like the 590's?

Thanks for all the help!

If you enter a Google search argument using your thread title you should get a pic from a Scandinavian hunter forum ... M55's are treasured over there, and in the USA.

There are no Macmillan stocks for M55's but there are for M65's. This doesn't help, but it'll save you looking!

There is a detailed technical write-up on the M55 action in "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank De Haas.... circa 1984 Edition. I have 2 Lefthand M65's. These are the long-action equivalent to the M55, but also have an extra safety lug at the root of the bolt. If you post the first 3-digits of the Serial Number (following the "M550-" prefix) I can tell you approximately when yours was made.

I have a M55 Varmint in 308, rebarreled with a Border Barrels barrel. Shoots very well if I di my bit. You could, I think, re-barrel yours in pretty well any calibre up to 308, when the need arises.

I think spare magazines will be hard to come by, you'll just have to keep looking! Maybe try a "Wanted" ad on here?

Similarly, not may synthetic stocks around for that action, but if you get something close (595?)I don't see why it couldn't be made to fit. If you come across a source of an inletted stock, please post the information!

Andrew

Hi,sorry to but-in on your conversation,i have a tikka serial no.550-120001 could you possibly tell me when this was made, also have 3 other M55's.

Tikka Bolt shrouds can come off but this is due to improper assembly when it is removed, due to the lug not engaging. Once you have done it a few times it is fine, but always give it a tug to ensure it is located properly. Then enjoy a good rifle.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info on the above rifle please? I may have acquired one in .22-250 but I haven't got it sent up yet :D I think I have read something about the bolt arrangement being funny or it is possible to assemble it wrong? How likely,(and much £? :eek:) are you to be able to acquire a spare magazine if you need one? I would also very much appreciate if someone could show me a picture of what they look like? :rolleyes: Also any bullet types/weights that would be good in the rifle?

Apologies for the twenty questions but I managed to come across a new one,(which i hastily went for) and I have never heard a bad word about the older tikkas.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have the M55 in 22-250 calibre had it 30 years nowt wrong with the bolt on these mate its the later models that the shroud comes of on they are plastic.
The bolt on the M55 dosent have plastic on it anywhere.
Hope this Helps
Stu

Stu you are quite right the plastic bolt guide was on the later models and not the M55 and M65. But you are wrong as regards there being nothing wrong with the bolt. With both the M55 and M65 there were concerns that it was possible to re-assemble it incorrectly if it stripped down and that this could be potentially dangerous. If the bolt is correctly assembled it is not a problem, this is one of the reasons these models were altered. About 20 years ago when this potential problem was realised warning notices were posted in various shooting magazines by the importers who were JLS arms at that time.

Have a look at http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?9362-Tikka-m55

Last edited:
Stu you are quite right the plastic bolt guide was on the later models and not the M55 and M65. But you are wrong as regards there being nothing wrong with the bolt. With both the M55 and M65 there were concerns that it was possible to re-assemble it incorrectly if it stripped down and that this could be potentially dangerous. If the bolt is correctly assembled it is not a problem, this is one of the reasons these models were altered. About 20 years ago when this potential problem was realised warning notices were posted in various shooting magazines by the importers who were JLS arms at that time.

Have a look at http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?9362-Tikka-m55

Never had any problems with mine its been a cracker ,There is a long line of individuals who have laid claim on it should i wish to sell it i know that:D

You shouldn't have a problem with it either they are cracking rifles, I wish I hadn't sold my M65. It's simply a matter of making sure you re-assemble the bolt correctly if you take it apart.

Thanks for all the info and pictures! Very much appreciated!

I'll just not fiddle around with the bolt too much and i'll be ok :lol:

My only other question was that I read somewhere about there being a possibility of the bolt knocking larger scopes? (could have been rubbish that I came across). Will it take a 50 or 56 objective ok?

cheers!

I fitted a Swaro 4-16 x 50 onto my 308 M55 without problem.

BTW, I've had the rifle for 20 years or so and never taken the bolt to bits (am I missing something here? It still works fine!).

Andrew

Thanks for that! I don't intend on taking it apart either but I read someting that said it was possible to reassemble them incorrectly if you did :doh:

How do you find the swaro? I may get a similar model for the .22-250.

Cheers!

I fitted a Swaro 4-16 x 50 onto my 308 M55 without problem.

BTW, I've had the rifle for 20 years or so and never taken the bolt to bits (am I missing something here? It still works fine!).

Andrew

Funny you should say that I have had mine for 30 years and I havent taken mine apart either, I am not sure you can without special tools anyway.:)

Tikka M55, fantastic piece of kit, i have three, also an M65.

Have seen Mcmillan stocks for these, although only the M65 is listed, i'm sure they inlet for it in the SAKO hunter style stock as they do for the M65. Just email them and ask.

Magazines as others have said are like hens teeth, so don't loose them! I managed to find spares for mine after much searching, still waiting for an M65 mag to be sent from New Zealand!

Tikka supplied a round plastic tool to open the bolt, it allowed you to grip the shroud at the rear and turn it. It can be done with bare hands if your strong enough, the tool just helps with leverage and helps you hold on when it pops out under spring pressure. A similar tool was supplied with the SAKO 75 rifles and the M995/TRG rifles. The TRG one available from GMK may work, as the shrouds are of a similar shape ,but i have not had them side by side to check yet.
The tool is pictured in this accessory pic from an old Tikka catologue from 1979:

TikkaAccessories2.jpg click to enlarge.

Last edited:
Back