Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for 'Open Ticket'

Applying for 'Open Ticket'

Hi guys,

enquired about getting my ticket opened up last week, submitted a letter explainig my need for it. Was told to write a letter explaining how i would go about checking land is suitable. Basically have said that the main things are safe backstops, check if there are public footpaths running through land. Proximity to public highways and dwellings. Type of surface of ground e.g. exposed rocks etc (ricochets). Anything i've missed???

Foxbuster,
    I found having years of shooting experience via smallbore rifle plus pistol till 1997 and a relevant qualification even though it was obsolete (NSCC) plus my German Jagdschein made an open ticket a doddle to get for me. It satisfies them that you really have done the homework to be able to appraise land / backstops / safety without needing numpties interfering. They apppreciate less work to do.
    Martin

foxbuster

I had to do some paperwork for Fountain Forestry and found some good material on the BASC website on risk assessments. I find it tricky to find stuff on the BASC site, but I suggest you try there. Also try googling.

stalking risk assessments - Google Search

As you would expect, some of the results point back to this site, so try search on here for risk assessment too. Try googling for fox related articles too.

Good luck. JCS

It might be worth getting a letter off someone you've been shooting with to say that you are competant in handling firearms, always mindful of safe backstops, uses maps with boundaries marked etc, with public safety being paramount.... lay it on a bit thick, it worked for me.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

You could also mention assessing the risk to livestock, non target species.

I've been giving this some thought.... "what would I say if they asked me that question?"

And to be honest the only real answer I can think of is "there is no land that is either safe or unsafe. Each shot needs to be assessed on it's own merits before making the decision to pull the trigger"

I'd like to know what they base their decisions on when they carry out land checks?... you could ask him that (without sounding too cocky of course)
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Si - a very good point. In addition, the weather may have a big impact and is worthwhile mentioning. Weather conditions will not always be favourable. Rgds JCS

Or if he wants to be a bit cheeky, just reply that he would apply exactly the same criteria that he already exercises when shooting over the land that he is currently authorised on!

After all, the risk to public safety would have already been assessed on that basis - wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by foxbuster View Post
    Hi guys,

enquired about getting my ticket opened up last week, submitted a letter explainig my need for it. Was told to write a letter explaining how i would go about checking land is suitable. Basically have said that the main things are safe backstops, check if there are public footpaths running through land. Proximity to public highways and dwellings. Type of surface of ground e.g. exposed rocks etc (ricochets). Anything i've missed???
    i never bothered to apply for an open ticket , they did it for me after 3 yrs and it has also happenend to several people i know !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Not sure how long you have had your licence but I had mine opened up within 12 months of having my FAC. What I did was keep a track of every outing, every round fired whether it was on paper or live quarry. What I shot etc etc. I even added a diary entry of one particularly good night showing that I had thought about everything from checking that the farm dog was tethered to back drop of the shot etc. Got it approved no problems.