Thread: Deer and plastic

Exclamation Deer and plastic

Can anyone explain why deer chew plastic,like used shotgun cases.tree guards etc

Inquisitive, its got to be boring chewing greenery all day.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

In a word, no.

Fallow seem to be the worst culprits. they chew alkathene water pipes to all the troughs, will chew each others ear tags and just love to get tangled up in any mesh or rope that gets left lying around. I sometimes wonder if they just get bored more easily than other species or are more inquisitive.

There may be a need to chew on something hard to wear down bits of teeth that are too long. On the farm here any antler buttons that are cast and not picked up will usually be found later when they have been chewed down considerably. I have watched red deer manipulating and chewing these bits for half an hour or more so they must be getting some benefit.

Give Deer some credit.....

Stan

If we leave the cast antlers lying about they will chew them, right down to the cornet, I believe it is a way of replacing calcium.

you often see them chewing bones too, I once saw a hind with a calfs pelvic bone jammed on her lover jaw.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Maybe they want to experience the likes of my ex-wife's cooking??~Muir