Thread: why me

why me

just back from a invite,have been up a high seat on the look out for a fox we have seen on one of our pheasant drives but was also told if i saw a young fallow or muntjac to take one as the owner of the wood needs to fill the freezer,having got into my seat had a good look around with the binos, it started to rain big time,as i was just about to give up a nice young muntjac came out 60 yard up on the ride,he was a bit jumpy as the pheasants were going to roost and making some noise, but after 5 or so mins he presented himself nicley,shot taken deer down,reload watch look listen,all good,deer stoped moving, unload climb down and collect my prize. no such luck the moment i got down from my seat the deer got up ran 20 yards and fell, when i got to it up it got again into the brambles,i sat there till very dark and moved out,so instead of getting pissed over a nice hunt im out first light crawling in brambles hoping my shot was better than i first thought.not happy as this is my first none picked deer and i can see me having a restless night, let you know more tomorrow after a first light search ....

Have you no access to a deer dog??
    Take the shotgun tomorrow instead of the rifle.
    I'm sorry theres nothing i can say other than **** happens, pleased to hear you will try to make things right.
    Its all you can do.
    And source a dog for the next time.
    regards John

Bugger!
    Always best to get another shot in if you can. If it gets up once, chances are it will do it again as you get closer.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing though!
    Sounds like you've hit it fairly hard though so it shouldn't go far and I reckon you'll find it in the morning.
    It's a bad feeling though for sure.
    Good luck for tomorrow.
    MS

If you are going after a Muntjack with a dog, keep the dogg on the lead, good luck

Dave

If you hunt this happens, if someone tells me they pick up everything they shoot there are only two possibilities, they haven’t shot much and have been extremely lucky, or they are lying. Check your equipment and most importantly do not let it worry you, if it does play on your mind you will be very nervous taking your next shot.

Quote Originally Posted by simon wardle View Post
    just back from a invite,have been up a high seat on the look out for a fox we have seen on one of our pheasant drives but was also told if i saw a young fallow or muntjac to take one as the owner of the wood needs to fill the freezer,having got into my seat had a good look around with the binos, it started to rain big time,as i was just about to give up a nice young muntjac came out 60 yard up on the ride,he was a bit jumpy as the pheasants were going to roost and making some noise, but after 5 or so mins he presented himself nicley,shot taken deer down,reload watch look listen,all good,deer stoped moving, unload climb down and collect my prize. no such luck the moment i got down from my seat the deer got up ran 20 yards and fell, when i got to it up it got again into the brambles,i sat there till very dark and moved out,so instead of getting pissed over a nice hunt im out first light crawling in brambles hoping my shot was better than i first thought.not happy as this is my first none picked deer and i can see me having a restless night, let you know more tomorrow after a first light search ....
    It's probably just a few yards into the brambles, I've seen that a few times with friends and family, they make a perfect shot, deer bolts into the woods right before it's dark, and no dogs are available that night They spend the night sick with worry, wondering if they should hang up the sport for good, only to find the deer 10 yards into the trees the next morning, with a perfect heart/lung shot

I got asked out to shoot Muntjac on a friends patch about a year ago. I took my .308 and (even though i know its overkill) thought better of it due to the scope i had on it. Anyway took a buck at about 120yards down a steep ride and thought no more of it, it went down and stayed down, it was near on dark so i waited in the seat to see if another would come out - and one did in the oppisite direction, shot that and got got down, went to the first one and 5 yards off it got up (couldnt barely see due to light at this point) and it run into thicket. I could still see it so i waited, and i could by now see exit wound (2" hole high in shoulder) god knows how it was still alive, but anyway i walked around the other side of the ticket and it ran out onto the ride again, flopped onto the ground. I took my chance and threw my sticks over its neck (decent thick walnut thumbstick) and quickly stood on them pinning it then put my boot over its muzzle and put the point of my knife in the atlas joint in its neck. Muntjac as we all know are tough little buggers, and i've heard so many stories or people seeing them get up from heart/lung shots etc and walking off. The good thing about them is they are quite thick, and will usually only run 10-30 yards before stopping if miss shot slightly. If you disturb them on my shoot, they only run 100yards and you see them again, and again! But as PKL says above, you usually find them the next morning less then 10ft from the shot site.

T

Interesting thread
    once again lack of experience wins over and unfortunately this is one method of how experience is gained
    with it being a munty and in full view you should really of seen the signs ,
    but hey ho lesson learn't I suppose
    Did you not hav a torch with you, as it was an evening stalk??
    in cases like this the deer will normaly sit and look at you
    so their eyes light up makes it easy to spot and shoot them again
    could well of saved you the trouble of all that extra work and hassle
    did you hav any joy this morn as I'm sure you'll found it
    possibly could be still alive and kicking with a leg injury but not far from where you lost it
    either way should be an easy find
    ATB