Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boar

boar

How do you guy find the best way to clean your boars. shave, skin peel. which?

In the past, i grollack, steam the pig , then shave, whilst hung.The rest is history.
    what your method?

Thanks

On the continent they always seem to skin the boar. The hide is so thick, I doubt it makes the best crackling....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

We always skin them same as a deer.

WD

I always laugh at the Ray Mears show where he is roasting a "young wild boar" on a spit. I think the Gurkha's were helping him out.

There is this pristine pink farm pig, in it's skin, on the spit. So obviously the product of an abbatoir. It no more looked like a wild boar than a rabbit did.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    How do you guy find the best way to clean your boars. shave, skin peel. which?

In the past, i grollack, steam the pig , then shave, whilst hung.The rest is history.
    what your method?

Thanks
    Found the best option is to skin it, try to leave as much fat on the very lean meat. Have heard of the hair being torched off but I guess that would be a tad stinky not to mention the mess whilst trying to handle it afterwards. Reckon the old disposables would take a bit of a beating getting through that lot, though you mention steaming, that may soften it up a bit and a going over with a good sharp blade may make some headway. I have a trip planned down south in a fortnight so if I'm lucky enough to get a shot at one then I may test your method. At least on a small part of it!
    ATB
    Pete

I have heard all sorts of stories!! I always skin mine.

ATB

T

I always skin them, so does everyone else I know.

Plucking is the only way to do it .

Regular Poster
    I concur Jagare, M&S do some very good tweezers.

ATB Barry

Muter Muter, Muter. been on three continents and still havnt had my first one yet!!!!

Well I've scalded lots and lots of domestic pigs, both white and coloured and spotted (and they all end up pink), but any pigs that've been outdoors are sods to scald. Even worse if lean and coloured, especially if Tamworth or Wild Boar in the breeding. The last ones I did I skinned instead as there was no way the bristles would come off by conventional methods. Therefore, I reckon I'd do the same with a wild Wild Boar.