Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best powder for 6.5x55 cal?

Best powder for 6.5x55 cal?

Hi all. Just about to take receipt of my new rilfe adn will be reloading for it. Have read a couple of threads regarding loads using Reloader 19 and IMR 4350 but wanted your opinion on the best powder to use. Ive got some Varget and Benchmark already but haev only seen a couple of peope using Varget. What should I be goping for/ whats working well for you in this calibre. Cheers Steve

4350 is my favorite, but this kind of question is like asking what flavor icecream is the best. You're going to get a lot of legitimate answers. Maybe you should just pick one and forge ahead!~Muir

I decided on Viht-N160 as that was what Hornady recommended for their 129gn SST's. I am trying to work up a load for my Barnes TSX 130gn and am considering buying another powder, Barnes use Magpro and Reloader 22 on their site.

I think any of the medium-slow powders will work, only experience would tell you what works best in your barrel. N-160 works very well in mine.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

There seems to be a bit of a trend towards using slightly faster powders than would have been the case 10 years ago, particularly given the near universal use of moderators, often with shorter barrels.

I have been using Benchmark (quite fast - too fast for the Swede I think) and Re17 in my 260rem with good results in terms of accuracy and velocity.

I would defintely try Re17 in your 6.5.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Thanks chaps, good info so far. Yeah, had heard that BM could be a bit too fast. Shame ive got a near full tub

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Hi all. Just about to take receipt of my new rilfe adn will be reloading for it. Have read a couple of threads regarding loads using Reloader 19 and IMR 4350 but wanted your opinion on the best powder to use. Ive got some Varget and Benchmark already but haev only seen a couple of peope using Varget. What should I be goping for/ whats working well for you in this calibre. Cheers Steve
    ive used N560 , N160 , RL22 and VARGET all with exelent results but my personal fav is N160

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Hi,

I've used stiff loads of N160/N560 out to 1000yds, but for slighty more comfortable loads, I must praise Varget.

Hodgdon 4350 works well with 120gn Amax bullets out of mine, and I've heard good reports about Alliant Reloder 22 and Vit N560 especially with heavier bullets, though I have yet to try those two. H4895 also works quite well in 120gn bullets though technically it's a bit too fast burning, but H380 and H414 are awful on comparison. On paper, Reloder 19 would seem to be a good bet for mid weight bullets.

Steve

What bullet weights do you plan to load?

Rgds JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Steve

What bullet weights do you plan to load?

Rgds JCS
    Initially some 140g Sierra game kings then going to try some 85g for fox