Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 o'r 22/250 ?

.223 o'r 22/250 ?

Hi, looking to move up from my .22 Hornet for either 223 o'r 22/250 this summer coming ! Mainly for foxing, although iv'e had no issues whatsoever with the little hornet as a first time gun !! i would be greatfull for any suggestions on the above two calibres !? Thank's..

Just

Owned several .22-250's and a couple of friends shoot .223

I think the choice is quite straightforward depending on what attributes you are looking for.

.22-250 + points - faster so slightly flatter trajectory, will therefore perhaps cope slightly better with heavier bullets (twist allowing). Superb calibre for Roe (Scotland) and devastating on foxes.
    - points - larger powder capacity so slightly dearer to load for.

.223 + points - less powder therefore cheaper to reload if you go through a lot.
    - points - slightly slower so not quite so flat trajectory

What else is there to say? The point I'm making is that they are so similar they have basically the same applications. Reloading components and factory ammo for both common as muck. Both very popular if you decided to sell, especially North of the border. Personally, I loved my .22-250's and if likely to be shooting out to extreme distances at vermin I would go with that calibre every time. Out to 200yds as I have experienced with my mates .223's no difference worth mentioning between the two IMO.

If there is one advantage with the .223 it would be the quieter report either moderated or not over the .22-250 which certainly gives off a bit of a bang.
    Last edited by jamross65; 17-01-2011 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by just View Post
    Hi, looking to move up from my .22 Hornet for either 223 o'r 22/250 this summer coming ! Mainly for foxing, although iv'e had no issues whatsoever with the little hornet as a first time gun !! i would be greatfull for any suggestions on the above two calibres !? Thank's..
    So let me get this right. You've been reloading for the Hornet for about....oh... fifteen minutes now, right? And you've abandoned it for a 223 or .22-250??

Somebody got to you, didn't they? Told you the Hornet was too puny, perhaps??

I have owned all manners of .224 centerfires up to 22-06. I still have a .222 and .223, but... I shoot a Hornet and would not hesitate to shoot a coyote at 200 yards with it. I doubt if a fox takes more killing than a coyote....~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    So let me get this right. You've been reloading for the Hornet for about....oh... fifteen minutes now, right? And you've abandoned it for a 223 or .22-250??

Somebody got to you, didn't they? Told you the Hornet was too puny, perhaps??

I have owned all manners of .224 centerfires up to 22-06. I still have a .222 and .223, but... I shoot a Hornet and would not hesitate to shoot a coyote at 200 yards with it. I doubt if a fox takes more killing than a coyote....~Muir
    You have to remember Muir that over here we don't have the luxury of being allowed a gun for every application and often one rifle has to do the jobs that 2 or 3 would be better for, whether for practical reasons or simply because it would be more fun. Don't take this the wrong way as I have no experience whatsoever with the hornet and would never suggest it is not 'as capable', but if it is one centre-fire for everything from the smaller deer species down to hooded crows at 300yds then unfortunately the calibre that may be considered 'more than enough' is often the choice that's relegated to allow for one to cope with all....

Read your post properly now and should have added that I agree wholeheartedly with comment regarding killing capability, mind you that is pertinent to so many other changes of calibre too...
    Last edited by jamross65; 17-01-2011 at 21:14.

Lol ! No no, don't think i'll ever abandon the hornet ! i think there's more need for such a gun than any other. A case of 'Jack of all trades, master of none' !But, i'm so into this sport that i would like to eventually experience all calibres and all type's of hunting, fair enough isn't it !?

Go .243 in case you get some deer staking and keep the hornet

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    I hesitated to say the same thing...And you beat me to it.

I am using 243 with 58 gn for longer range vermin, up to 100 gn for roe...so covers everything really....1 rifle, 1 mod , 1 scope..
    Last edited by sparko; 17-01-2011 at 21:46.

I have always fancied having a shot of a Hornet but have never got the chance. In answer to your question I would opt for the .223 over the 22.250................At normal shooting distances of say 100 - 200 yards there is little in it trajectory wise. True the 22.250 may reach out a bit further but at the cost of more powder, louder report, and greater recoil for very little practicle gain.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    Come on, thats far too obvious and sensible. haven't you worked out yet that we first have to debate all of the .22 CF's, then argue about bullet weights, then moan about why the sweatys can shoot roe with them but we can't, then suggest a .338 Lap Mag in case the guy comes across a big cat, then debate if big cats really exist, then suggest a .243, then someone says if you're going to have a deer rifle you might as well get a 6.5x55, then someone says get a .270 instead and at that point the whole debate usually sheds a track! JC
    Last edited by JC275; 17-01-2011 at 21:54.

[QUOTE=JC275;174284]Come on, thats far too obvious and sensible. haven't you worked out yet that we first have to debate all of the .22 CF's, then argue about bullet weights, then moan about why the sweatys can shoot roe with them be we can't, then suggest a .338 Lap Mag in case the guy comes across a big cat, then debate if big cats really exist, then suggest a .243, then someone says if you're going to have a deer rifle you might as well get a 6.5x55, then someone says get a .270 instead and at that point the whole debate usually sheds a track! JC[/QUO

Yeah those damn Scots shooting those poor roe with 22CF's..............not enough gun............not enough gun hahaha.
    Now that quote should set the thread on fire.