Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Misses In A Row

Most Misses In A Row

A few years ago when shooting a lot of Sika and Roe on large forestry areas I hit a bad patch. I missed 8 consecutive shots in a row!

The nature of the ground meant that often the shots were averaging somewhere around 150yds, thus allowing for a few varying reasons for error to creep in however, I knew the ground well so there was no excuse for misjudging distances. The usual checks were done after the first couple and the rifle as always was bang on. Each time I missed I had a mate with me and they said that nothing appeared obvious as to a reason. By the last couple of shots if we spotted deer when driving round, such was the knock to my confidence I was telling them to get out the pick-up and stalk the beast! Eventually whatever the cause it seemed to disappear (although the piss-taking still goes on to this day) and the misses stopped. If anything, I would perhaps guess at over-confidence causing me to possibly lift the head to watch the drop but I really don't know as in my mind I was doing nothing differently to all the successful shots over the years.

The only saving grace was that between the deer's reaction and the follow up all were clean misses. It got to the stage that even the dog was hanging her head in shame!

Any similar stories?

Feck
    8 in a row
    I think I would of said I'd blanked and paid my mate to keep his mouth zipped
    you must of had one bad year

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Feck
    8 in a row
    I think I would of said I'd blanked and paid my mate to keep his mouth zipped
    you must of had one bad year
    Thing is Stone, I can look back now and smile at it but believe me, at the time it was hard to deal with!

Should perhaps add that this occurred over a couple of weeks and did not have to live with it for months. Don't know if that makes it worse or not...
    Last edited by jamross65; 17-01-2011 at 22:31.

Not quite a deer story but I was in the desert of central New Mexico hunting rabbits with handguns and was blithely informed by my son's godfather that I was straddling a rattlesnake. Looking down I saw that this was indeed the case. I had almost stepped on the damned thing! I jumped straight up and back drawing my Ruger Blackhawk .357 and emptying it at the poor creature. From 2.5 feet i fired six times and never touched it. The snake regarded me for a second and just slithered away... disgusted, I'm sure.~Muir

I once took my girlfriend with me for a weekends stalking . I missed three out of five deer . I could only come to one conclusion . SHE wont be coming again |

Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Not quite a deer story but I was in the desert of central New Mexico hunting rabbits with handguns and was blithely informed by my son's godfather that I was straddling a rattlesnake. Looking down I saw that this was indeed the case. I had almost stepped on the damned thing! I jumped straight up and back drawing my Ruger Blackhawk .357 and emptying it at the poor creature. From 2.5 feet i fired six times and never touched it. The snake regarded me for a second and just slithered away... disgusted, I'm sure.~Muir
    Sounds like you should get some shooting 'off-hand' practice in mate!
    MS

Don't really have any missing streaks as such but a couple of missed shots have crept in over the years that really got to me. Worst misses/fails.....

Fox cub at under 10 meters called in right to my feet, couldn't see anything clear in the sight picture and shot the ground.

Fallow at 40 meters, dry fire... deer ran off when I worked the action.

A fellow I know by the name of Prior told me once that if he ever had a spell when his shooting went 'off' he simply changed to one of his other - less-used rifles. This had the effect of making him concentrate on the new 'feel' of both rifle and importantly - trigger. It just concentrated the mind again.

I think that everyone - if they think about it - has a spell or two like that over a lifetime of shooting. I recall not long after I joined the stalking team I was doing OK - then got even better and shooting like an old hand - then one morning made an absolute bol***s of it in front of both senior stalkers.

I just coundn't believe it and said that it must be the sight or the rifle.

The head stalker grinned and suggested trying the rifle out on a white spot on a rock - immediately.

I did - and to my embarrassment hit the damned thing in the centre, so I hauled in the slack pride, apologised and pulled the finger out.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

I have never had a run of muffed shots at deer yet, apart from the embarrassing 1 shot, two deer episode Which goes to show that I have not shot a lot of deer really I suppose. I have made a pratt of myself with a shotgun before though, not pushing the safety off, pulling too tightly on the trigger so the inertia block did not move for the second shot etc. etc.

But the worst case of the yips I ever had was sea trout fishing on the Teifi. Over the course of three evenings I had 22 takes, I mean solid takes with the fish well on, not just quick off and ons. I began to think I was cursed. I was there for a week so I kept fishing. On the fourth night I caught eight in a row! A haslam on the point and a white muddler on the dropper.

I think I would be more worried with stalking though, I would have to put in some really serious range time and go through everything from equipment checks, breathing correctly and tigger follow through. But that's just me being a worry wart.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Fortunately not missed a deer as yet. Some years ago was waiting for a fox using a very dead rabbit on a big newly sown field. Watched fox work its way up the far hedge and just trotted up to the bait. I was prone, simple 100+yd shot, broadside. Complete miss. Fox races down field, stops, looks back and next shot went over the top. Very hasty reload, final round. Fox for some unkown reason stops again. It looked a long way, cross hairs in middle again(previuos two had gone high) and it collapsed on the spot. It was I think 317 paces.

Couldnt think why the prev 2 went high but fortunately had seen the strike on the dry soil. Checked elevation turret and it was well out. Appears as I had taken rifle out of padded slip the friction had caused the elevation turret to move.

Very unlucky fox, but important lesson learnt. Now turrets set at zero and always check before shooting.

D