Thread: Winchester .22RF Rifle, 100,000 Rds

Winchester .22RF Rifle, 100,000 Rds

I have a mates old .22 Winchester lever-action, with a magazine tube that runs under the barrel.

He had it for perhaps 25+ years before he bought an Anchutz, hence I was given it. He would regularly go out with a keeper friend of ours during the years that huge rabbit numbers were a plague and allowed for literally thousand's being shot every month. On average they reckoned on a hundred a night and 4 or 5 outings per week. They made a good bit of money out of it too! Although these were shot between them my mate reckons as the keeper was normally driving most were shot with his rifle and shotgun. I have only put a couple of thousand rounds through it but in total it has probably fired close to 100,000 and has never been cleaned once according to him, not the barrel or action. It has never broken or required any other form of maintenance except for the screw that holds the stock to the action needing tightened.

I don't know how accurate it should be but it will still shoot between 1/2 and 1'' at 75yds.

This may not be unusual for a .22 to hold its accuracy even after such abuse, but what a testament to the build quality of the rifle.

I'll stick some photo's up of the rifle tomorrow.

Ah... the old winchester lever action!.
    An old farmer friend of mine had the same rifle and it was a lovely, if basic,little gun.
    Probably still going strong today after the same sort of use you describe.
    Cheers.
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiehallion View Post
    Ah... the old winchester lever action!.
    An old farmer friend of mine had the same rifle and it was a lovely, if basic,little gun.
    Probably still going strong today after the same sort of use you describe.
    Cheers.
    S.
    My boys love it but get a clip round the ear when they try to emulate Big John in the film True Grit!! Yep, I agree, great wee gun.