T8 moderator, annoying "tinkle" / Moderator care?

martinrs

...Well I was just about to say:

I have an annoying something rattling around in my T8 mod. I have had it from new and after the first time I used it there has been something metallic tinkling around inside its large chamber. I have no idea what it is or how it got there! Any thoughts on how to get it out?

Anyway, as I am sat here fiddling with it and furiously waving it around like I'm in a rave, out falls the offending article... A piece of MIG wire with a blob of weld stuck to the end! Nothing like good quality control eh. :rolleyes:

So more to the point, how can I best preserve my mod, obviously it cannot be opened, but would a good spray of gun cleaner or WD40 or something be useful to inhibit the inevitable corrosion? Any inventive ideas for cleaning?

Martin.

Spay oil every now and then ps them t8 all have them bits of weld floating about from time to time just to get on your nerves

I had the same problem, mine was quite a large chunk! Sent it back, it was replaced and the samething happened again. T8 mods may be good but they were never designed to last. Expensive throwaways!

Jesus!
why arent they TIG welded in stainless then?!
that is shocking.

even MIG welding with stainless wire would help if they are hell bent on cost savings. given teh application how can they send something out the door with anything potentially loose in the chamber.

if that happened to be dangling in the way of the bore when you launch a 130gn bullet down it you would know about it!

In the country of origin they are classed as 'cheap throwaways' they are only expensive 'junk' when they reach this country.
Having said that, I obtained one when they first came to this country and used it regularly for many years without problems.
I still have it, but only use it infrequently, it is still as good (on the outside!) as when I got it.

i am new to centrefire so excuse the dumb question. why cant these be cleaned? i have a third eye spartan mod and it can be stripped.

is it best to leave a mod alone?

T8's are a sealed steel can that is welded together. There are no removable/movable parts. Your thirdeye is fully stripable so it can be taken down to its component parts and cleaned.
When I spoke to Craig (owner of thirdeye and designer of the mods) he said he doesn't bother cleaning his.
I just put a thin smear of moly grease on the threaded sections of my spartan so it will come apart as and when I want it too.

T8 construction
http://www.icchunting.co.uk/online-store/3793.html

thirdeye
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....l-moderator.-Pics-and-Info&highlight=thirdeye

Last edited by a moderator:
no reason why any reflex moderator can not be strippable. its a cost thing.
at the bare minimum you should be able to gain access to the main chamber.
a simple screw cap at the base like many others would allow this.

What a load of sh**e those T8's are compared with lightweight strippable modern offerings.
The only thing they have going for them is that their noise suppression is good. Shame you have to wear a silly neoprene thing on them to stop them making that infuriating "Ting" every time you brush past a leaf.
S.

i use a T8 on my 243 and had no problems even on my last 243 i had T8 and no problems great noise reducer easy clean wd40 and let stand .

they say all these t8 mods have a ring to them. but if you put a mod cover on it is cuts it out ?

At one point there were very few mods, to choose from.
Now you can take your pick from a variety of over barrel
or muzzle mounted.
For myself i started with a t8, then a pes scout, but now
use an a-tec alu. very light 220g.(muzzle mounted)

Rgds. Buck.

PS. the t8 still has a lot of strong followers thought.

Last edited:
spray it with stove paint will not ting after that and will stop it rusting .had mine 5 years a still a good bit off kit

I once watched a chap fiddle about with a t8 , shaking and twisting it for ages and out popped a live 22 round , what can you say ?

Back