gunsmiths

bigdan

hello all,
just got the variation on my ticket for a moderator on my 6.55 x55.
does anyone know of a proper gunsmith fairly locally to sussex that can
thread it and fit an after market trigger such as the timney. also has anyone got any preferences for fullbore mods?

I know a chap that is near Tunbridge Wells. He does a lot of work for a bg local gun shop but he also does my work privately. PM me if you are interested and I will dig out his number.

Chris Potter always cuts 'em straight and favours 1/2" 28 UNEF. I have 2 Reflex T8's and they are brilliant moderators.

chris potters.... never again

My cousin and I went to potters and bought 2 x rifles and accessories value of over £1200. The shop would not throw in 100 .22 rf rounds. We had travelled a bit to get there and the staff didn't even make us a coffee.

When i go to John Carr, near Thorne. he always makes coffee and will, if i take it, give my rifle a once over with his borescope. Sadly Ben (taffbagger) lives in Robertsbridge so he can't get to Johns regularly! I wouldn't go back to potters ever. but i would travel the extra miles from my place, (not robertsbridge), to go to John Carrs.

swampy

Swampy, I am surprised at the service you got at Potters. You must have caught them on a very off day.
I know most of them in there and always get a cuppa. I always get a good deal on everything i need as well. If you are ever tempted to go there again, let me know and I will come in with you. Will get you a free box of subs and a cuppa!!

east grinstead guns

I know an experienced and very knowledgeable group member, uses east grinstead guns, his recommendation by patronnage would be my first choice

I was at the Eurosatory Defence show in Paris 2 weeks ago and got speaking to a lot of moderator manufacturers.

Most hunting moderators are designed around the .308 bullet. In most the 6.5 x 55 will have a problem as the moderator was never designed for the longer bullet. A one design fits all / just change the calibre philosophy.

Moderators that are designed for military/police use tend to have design variations that are specific to calibre.

I use 156gr bullets in my 6.5 x 55 and you know that when competotors all point at the ASE UTRA Jet Z Compact as the one for the calibre it means something.

Spoke with the manufacturer and this model in 6.5 x 55 has been designed to accomodate the longer bullet. Not so in their other models. All to do with timings between the gas expansion chambers as the bullet transits.

Stan

moderators

thanks very much for the replys chaps, and thats a very interesting point smullery about the longer 6.5s . ill have a look at the reviews for the compact .ta.

Hi Bigdan,

For what it's worth !

Chris Potter - went there 20 yrs ago: if it wasn't new didn't want to know.
10 yrs ago went there prices not competetive,rude and didn't want to know.5 years ago went there had difficulty getting the information on a particular rifle,couldn't really be bothered as there were plenty of punters out there who wanted what he had on the shelf!!!! You would think I would have learnt the first time, I must be as thick as I am old.

East Grinstead guns, resleeved my William Evans, couldn't afford £5000.00 on new barrels from maker, did very good job, couple of problems but got it sorted very quickly. One brother barrel maker other brother stock maker. For shotguns thats where I go.

Andersons, East Grinstead, always buy my rifles and ammo there. If I need a new scope fitted the resident gunsmith generally fits it straight away, small charge sometimes. They know what they are doing, full bore. Good knowledge, useful advice, good range of assorted guns.

Before you ask I have no business interest in either of the last two, just recommending their good service.

regards

Robin

Ronald Wharton at Rusper in Sussex. He used to work for Rigby's, never heard a bad thing about the man, I know him very casually. His partner used to run, maybe still does Bunduki Travel, importing FA for overseas clients, excellant service.

Failing this there is a guy near Maidstone, who I know is turning out some good work, if you want the details please Pm me and I will see if I can find a contact phone number.

Regards

Sikamalc (admin)

bigdan said:
has anyone got any preferences for fullbore mods?

i've just changed from a T8 to a T4 on my .308. noise levels very comfortable, doesnt unbalance the gun as much. point of impact very close with mod on/mod off.

glad i changed it :D

potters

i must admit ive had a similar experience in potters, i was looking for a 22.250 and it was as if theyd found me sleeping rough in their doorway.!!! i still spent 200 quid in there but wont be going back to buy anything else.
went to andersons once and got a chat and a coffee and even westons in brighton and got the same. it doesnt take much to keep a customer coming back for more,and by the very nature of our sport ,we are big spenders.
still poring over the moderator options thanks for all the input. :)

Looks like I am either easily pleased or am lucky at Potters. Maybe I should try out another few shops so that I can get a fair comparison! Funny, I was really happy with them up to that point and now I think they are all tossers! Just shows, reputation wins or loses you your business!

gunshops

hi andy,
im sure not all the staff at potters are frosty !! once you get recognised as a regular they would probably take more notice of you, but first impressions count for a lot and that can be costly if you dont make the right impression on someones first visit.
i would go back as they probably deserve another chance, but this time a want a coffee and a chocolate hobnob. im not a cheap date. :lol:

It seems nothing changes at Potters ,20 years ago i went to Potters with a view to buying /upgrading a rifle, I had taken the wife with me so I'd changed my clothes from the usual rags I wear, I didn't think I looked too bad, I was looking at the rifles in the rack, an assistant came up to me , said "If you are looking for something cheep then you have come to the wrong place"I told him where to stick his rifles, I drove to Andersons ,East Grinstead ,spent £1200 on a rifle, and have bought a couple of others there over the years, always get good service, I buy Bullets & powder from either Andersons or Wilson &Wilson, it costs me more in fuel and time but I prefer to give my custom to a company that gives a service rather than to a company that thinks they are doing me a favour

I go to Andersons as they are near me and I always get good service, especially from Phil. I think they use Sorrell Bros. ( also in E. Grinstead ) to cut threads. Been happy with them over the last 5 years.

Well, I can now say that I was talking rubbish when I recommended Potters. I went in there about three months ago and ordered a take down tool for my Sauer 202. I then spoke to them a month ago and asked where it was but no joy. Last saturday, I popped in there to talk to someone about getting an outback synthetic stock for the 202. But they were far too busy sitting around doing nothing to want to talk to me! I was told that someone would phone me on Monday to discuss it but I heard nothing. There are definitely some decent people there but it seems they are in the minority!!!
So, anyone know a decent gunsmiths in North Kent?? Or anyone know where I can get a good deal on a synthetic stock???

Back