Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a stalking question

a stalking question

I was stalking last night and stalked into a Roe doe with two kids one was a buck ,the other a doe . My question is could i have legally shot the buck kid ?

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    I was stalking last night and stalked into a Roe doe with two kids one was a buck ,the other a doe . My question is could i have legally shot the buck kid ?
    since it's not a dependant anymore no

Would it survive on it's own?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

You can shoot it if, and I think the law reads, "If it has been, or is about to be deprived, of its mother". It is a grey area as to whether the buck kid would still be dependant, but you could well argue a defence that you were within the law as it stands.

As to where the ethical cut off point comes, that is up to you to decide. I think it would survive here, so I would leave it.

Simon
    Last edited by flytie; 19-01-2011 at 09:04.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    You can shoot it if, and I think the law reads, "If it has been, or is about to be deprived, of its mother". It is a grey area as to whether the buck kid would still be dependant, but you could well argue a defence that you were within the law as it stands.

As to where the ethical cut off point comes, that is up to you to decide. I think it would survive here, so I would leave it.

Simon
    As a General rule of thumb I make myself aware on previous Does that have been shot in the area and if there are no signs of them carrying milk any future buck kids get left , nature itself will tell you if offspring are dependant or not.

If you were in England no you could not if you were in scotland yes you can kids are exactly that until the first of april only then do they have a sex.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    since it's not a dependant anymore no
    What is the classification for them being dependant?

Relying on or requiring the aid of another for support. I think for roe kids, that goes well into late spring, well, right up to the point where the Doe tells it to F off...

This is a real 'can of worms' type of question!
    It is now legal to shoot a dependant buck kid if you either have, or are about to orphan it.
    That in itself sounds simple enough, but when is it no longer dependant?
    Is it when it no longer relies on its mothers milk?

The simple fact that it is still with her would indicate that it is still dependant in some way would it not?
    I think that kids are dependant on their mothers for some time once weaned as they aquire 'life skills' as they grow.
    Where and what to eat, how to stay safe and warm etc.
    Kids that lose their mother at an early age never seem to do very well even if they are weaned.
    It is almost impossible to put a date on this as some kids grow faster than others and may even have been born a month or so apart anyway!
    Common sense must therefore prevail, and each individual case taken on merit.
    As a rough rule of thumb though, most kids seem to be at an independant age just after Christmas.
    I try not to shoot the mother of any family group before Christmas.
    A vague answer I know, but probably as good as you will get with such a 'grey area'!
    MS

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    This is a real 'can of worms' type of question!
    It is now legal to shoot a dependant buck kid if you either have, or are about to orphan it.
    That in itself sounds simple enough, but when is it no longer dependant?
    Is it when it no longer relies on its mothers milk?

The simple fact that it is still with her would indicate that it is still dependant in some way would it not?
    I think that kids are dependant on their mothers for some time once weaned as they aquire 'life skills' as they grow.
    Where and what to eat, how to stay safe and warm etc.
    Kids that lose their mother at an early age never seem to do very well even if they are weaned.
    It is almost impossible to put a date on this as some kids grow faster than others and may even have been born a month or so apart anyway!
    Common sense must therefore prevail, and each individual case taken on merit.
    As a rough rule of thumb though, most kids seem to be at an independant age just after Christmas.
    I try not to shoot the mother of any family group before Christmas.
    A vague answer I know, but probably as good as you will get with such a 'grey area'!
    MS

Correct in the fact that it stands a chance of survival as basic life rudiments are met, other skills may obtained through mistakes it makes but the basic ingredient of the provision of not relying on its mother for food (IE Milk ) has been met
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 19-01-2011 at 15:09.