Thread: query re taking rifles abroad?

query re taking rifles abroad?

What are the legal requirements and procedures for taking rifles abroad?

I know we are required to have a European firearms licence (pass) to take rifles to EU countries but what is the requirement for USA, AFRICA and AUSTRALASIA?

I have been advised by another SD member that we will be required to get a embarkation condition added to our FAC allowing us to take the specific calibres out of the UK and that it is illegal to have firearms at UK airports without this condition. Do any SD members have experience on the correct requirements and procedures to export rifles outside the EU?

I know for example, that if we want to import firearms in to NZ that we apply to the NZ police for a temporary firearms permit when we arrive in NZ, but what are we required to have at Heathrow when we check in to leave the UK?

I have the embarkation clauses on my FAC but others I've travelled with seem to get by without it.

At the Heathrow end, all Customs have ever asked to see / check is my FAC when they check the gun's serial numbers (same on arrival back in the UK). At the other end the requirements vary And you need to check carefully - RSA needs a lot of stuff pre-submitted to SAP weeks in advance, including stuff from your agent and PH, but the actual collection at J'burg is straightforward enough if there's no queue. The European Firearms Passport is no guarantee of simplicity though - Sweden was a pain and involved endless fees.

I understand that NZ is the simplest of all but Oz is a different matter.

Adam.
    Last edited by Adamant; 19-01-2011 at 19:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    I have the embarkation clauses on my FAC. At the Heathrow end, all Customs have ever asked to see / check is my FAC when they check the gun's serial numbers. At the other end the requirements vary - RSA needs a lot of stuff pre-submitted to SAP, including stuff from your agent and PH, but the actual collection at J'burg is straightforward enough. The European Firearms Passport is no guarantee of simplicity though - Sweden was a pain.

Adam.
    Is the embarkation clause on FAC mandatory? One hunter asked his firearms officer and he said not necessary and he just needs FAC. Bit confusing?

50/50,

Some people have calibre's that they're not allowed to shoot in the UK as they have them for use abroad.

In this case they are only permitted to have them in public "when embarking/disembarking to and from port of entry".

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    50/50,

Some people have calibre's that they're not allowed to shoot in the UK as they have them for use abroad.

In this case they are only permitted to have them in public "when embarking/disembarking to and from port of entry".

Stan
    All my rifles are conditioned for UK use on an open FAC - West Mercia still insisted on adding the embarkation clauses to my certificate. Your explanation makes sense though - I have often wondered exactly what the purpose of the clause was and now I've learnt that it appears to be entirely unnecessary in my case...

Adamant,

Closed or open certificates, your Police Authority have no say in you taking your firearms/shotguns in/out the UK. All you do is show them to Customs out/in and they report the transit back to your Police Authority. A boring and tedious chore for them. You DO need to get authority from your airline/Eurostar/ferry company as it's their terms of carriage that apply. The "addition" of to/from port of embarkation to your normal conditions just uses up ink.

Stan

All that is required at Heathrow is your FAC a suitable carry case for your rifle and a suitable sealable container for your ammo. As Adament says you need to have your firearm and FAC checked by customs out and back in.

Went to SA a couple of years back no probs at terminal 1 exept that the Police came and made a presence and had a chat flew with SA Airlines just turn up with rifles and certs had more problems with a National Coach Company than customs had to get a letter from head office so driver would let us on please read all the information that is displayed about firearms on any public transport that you may be using as things you think are ok may well not be HAPPY HUNTING where ever you may go
    Paul D