Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope advice needed (sorry as im sure its been asked before!)

Scope advice needed (sorry as im sure its been asked before!)

Hi, I was just wondering if the more knowledgeable people on this site could give me some help in picking out a scope? It would be very much appreciated!

As I posted in another thread I am acquiring a .22-250 soon. It will be for roe,(scotland) fox and vermin. I am after a good scope which would enable me to shoot vermin out to a reasonable distance but also to be suitable for roe and fox in low light.

I was thinking of maybe a S&B variable with a 50 or 56 objective? Are the zeiss/swaro scopes worth the extra money? I really dont want to spend a fortune on a scope but I dont want something that will limit me either,(and if you buy cheap you buy twice ect).

So your thoughts would be greatly apprecitaed and a new and second hand price guildine would be ideal.

Gun is a tikka m55.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

You might do a lot worse than one of the new Minox scopes. They are made with Schott Glass, same as Shmidt, swaro Zeiss etc so would be worth looking in to.

Dave

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Scopes are a bit like cars and women - one man's beauty is another man's beast

You will find advocates on this site for all the scopes you mention - S&B, Zeiss, Swaro. Also Nightforce, Kahles, Meopta, Minox and IOR have their supporters. The person I stalk for has Leupolds on all his rifles and couldn't be happier!

To be honest I think any of the scopes you mention would serve you well. They would also retain their resale value. You've said you don't want to spend a fortune, but I've said elsewhere that - in order of spending your money - I would prioritise it as binos, scope and rifle in that order, as that reflects the amount of use they will get in the field.

If at all possible I would suggest that you have a look both at and through the scopes that you're interested in. Scopes can be a very personal issue, particularly as you have to consider not just low light performance and clarity but also weight, eye relief, adjustment, mounting and aesthetics, etc.

Currently I have a Zeiss Victory and an IOR, both variable scopes, mounted on my rifles but I managed for the first 8 or 10 years with a plain Zeiss 6x42. If it had been an 8x56 the chances are I would never have gone to a variable! I don't do any foxing so I'm not sure I can help you in term of the 50 vs 56 debate, but do bear in mind that a x50 scope with better glass will outperform a x56 scope of lesser quality as the better glass will transmit more light.

So far as magnification, if you're into long-range shooting you may want some real high power, but for most practical deer stalking I would suggest a maximum magnification of 12x or thereabouts will suffice.

I would look on the Classifieds here on the SD site, and also have a peek at the secondhand optics list on Macleods of Tain.

Good luck!

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 19-01-2011 at 21:14. Reason: Missed Minox!!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    You might do a lot worse than one of the new Minox scopes. They are made with Schott Glass, same as Shmidt, swaro Zeiss etc so would be worth looking in to.

Dave

Googled round a it cant seem to find them on uk sites...any suggestions or am i been thick?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks for all the replies! I think I am going to go for a swaro. My only question is, which reticule do you prefer? I was thinking either the 4 or 4A? Would that be suitable for stalking?

Thanks again!

Get a Swarovski or a Zeiss variable, you wont regret it

I've got S&B Zenith flash dots on both my main rifles. With a 3-12x50 on my .22-250. Theyre brilliant scopes and you won't be dissappointed. The swaro / zeiss equivalents are every bit as good as each other with supurb glass and reliablility. You pays your money you takes your choice! Only thing I will say about S&B is they only make scopes, no binoculars, cameras or fancy cut glass vases, in my opinion they're the best. Haha, everyone has their own personnel choice.

Tom

Thanks for the help! It is definately a European variable I am going to go for!

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    I've got S&B Zenith flash dots on both my main rifles. With a 3-12x50 on my .22-250. Theyre brilliant scopes and you won't be dissappointed. The swaro / zeiss equivalents are every bit as good as each other with supurb glass and reliablility. You pays your money you takes your choice! Only thing I will say about S&B is they only make scopes, no binoculars, cameras or fancy cut glass vases, in my opinion they're the best. Haha, everyone has their own personnel choice.

Tom
    If you don't mind me asking? How much would the zenith 3-12x50 set me back,(s/h)? I'm not sure if I want to pay the extra for the illuminated reticule or not,(I've been flicking through the other thread with interest ).

Cheers!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- the Americans know their onions when it comes to high mag varmint scopes. There is a lot of excitement over the Minox ZA5 3-15x42 with BDC at the moment, which as already pointed out has European glass and is a steal compared to its competitors. Apparently a great scope with excellent glass, solid internals and a trustworthy warranty.