applying for a FAC

guevara

I have foud land in which I can shoot vermin. The land is only about 17 acres so what calibers should i apply for?

I will maily be shooting rabbits. Also there are a few houses towards the front of the land, and livestock in other fields. Should this be a problem?

Regards

guevara said:
I have foud land in which I can shoot vermin. The land is only about 17 acres so what calibers should i apply for?

I will maily be shooting rabbits. Also there are a few houses towards the front of the land, and livestock in other fields. Should this be a problem?

hello guevara,
one of my permissions is only 15 acres and hadnt been cleared, so asked the flo to have a look and he cleared it for use with .22 rimfire and subsonics.
id ask for .17hmr and .22 and see what they say.

Hello Guevara,
I hope you get the help and answers you require, however this site has a long memory, I think you know what I mean by that. Enjoy the site and learn from its members.

Regards Steve.F (Site Admin).

Try an air rifle to start, and then see if you want to move on, that is with the farmers ,owners permission.! :cry: we would like to come out with all guns blazing, but gently gently catch the (WABBIT). :oops:
TRAPPER

It's more to do with the nature than the size of the land (safety), and what you need to shoot on it.

If there are no deer you might get the land cleared for e.g. 308, but you wont get 308 on your ticket on the back of it. On the other hand they may take the view that if there are no deer the land has no need of anything bigger than 223 for foxes, even though it is capable of being shot with something bigger.

They could also say, yes its stuffed with deer, but the land is not safe to shoot with a centrefire at all. In which case the only person who could shoot it is one with a fully open ticket.

My land was miles from anywhere but I still had to actively make the case for clearance . Some of mine is heavily forested and I was told that had it all been forested then no clearance would have been forthcoming. In the end it all went OK, but I had to make sure I stayed reasonable and co-operative all the way through, and I did my homework thoroughly and meticulously with photos of deer damage, safe shooting zones, maps, access routes etc. I got the impression that I was being assessed as much as the land.

They take this stuff very seriously, and so must you - get it wrong first time and there is no easy route to appeal.

I think it does depend as stated previously on the topography of the land and also the surrounding areas.
Me I would put in for everything and also an FAC pre charge rifle, which you can shoot in your garden old chap, so you can't fail then.
Once you have proved your worth then apply for a variation for rimmy.

I have shot with an air rifle before down there but i want to move onto a rimfire. I have put down 22lr, 17 hmr, 17 mach 2, 22wmr.
I wont be shooting foxes, just rabbits and crows but i would rather have the 17 HMR. I have a shotgun cert so will that make it easier to get a FAC?

I think we may have gone down this road before??? A shotgun certificate can make it easier as it shows you can be responsible with a gun. (as long as you haven't peppered the neighbours dog or anything! :lol: )

Two small parcels of land I shoot over are 12 acres each ( adjoining farms ) One side of the fence is up to .308 the other side is max. 22-250, and the geography is identical and right next to the motorway!!. Start with a .22 rimfire, they are excellent, good luck.

Would i get a 22 WMR for rabbits? I have heard the 17HMR is the best for rabbits as it can shoot longer distances.

guevara said:
Would i get a 22 WMR for rabbits?
the answer is probaly yes but why?
you hav just 17 acres at the moment and more may come in the future
the 22lr using subs i will kill out to 100+ yards easy enough and it is very quiet
at what distances are you expecting to shoot your rabbits at and even a fox if one comes into range ?

17 acres is a very small parcel of land to shoot over, even with rim fires, if the ground is certificated for that calibre by the Police you will not have too much of a problem, if it is not you may not be allowed.

This is a question that has been asked before on a number of occassions if you look back far enough through the postings.

Sikamalc (Admin)

Guevara, why have you come to a Stalking site to ask questions about rimfire?

It's a strange first port of call don't you think?

What is 22 WMR usally used for? I think the land is about 20 acres actually. Im hoping it will be cleared for a 22lr or a 17HMR. Do you have to pay to have land check over?

Regards

The .22WLB is a what you want. Just the round for rabbits on ground that is between 17-20 acres.

legaleagle69 said:
I think it does depend as stated previously on the topography of the land and also the surrounding areas.
Me I would put in for everything and also an FAC pre charge rifle, which you can shoot in your garden old chap, so you can't fail then.
Once you have proved your worth then apply for a variation for rimmy.

Hi Leagle Eagle, I found your comment about being able to use an FAC air rifle in a garden rather interesting. Surely if it's FAC rated then it too would be bound by the same rules that apply to other FAC rated weapons.

An FAC air weapon can easily create over 80ft pounds, which is only slightly less than a .22 rim fire which tend to hover around 85-95 ft lbs, with subs.

I certainly don't shoot my CZ in the garden. I can shoot a 12ftlb weapon in my garden, but I am legally responsible for anything that travels outside of it..

I feel a bit uneasy with that advice, please don't take offence LE but I think I want a second opinion on that one.

I think it would be subject to land checks, just the same as anything else.

Poddle

No Guevara, it's done as part of your application, should you pass the initial interview with the enquiry officer.

knowledge,

Guevera,
may i suggest you find someone local to you and go out with them a bit first. I don't wish to be offenssive but it appears you may have some knowledge gaps that you might want to brush up before the application goes in.

LE and Poddle,
Yes land surveys would apply for an fac air rifle.

swampy

Back