Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor optics......actually any good???

Doctor optics......actually any good???

Probably already been done so I apologise in advance but.....

I am interested in a scope for a second rifle (i.e, wont get used a huge amount but still has to perform). I currently use zeiss and cant really justify spending zeiss money on a scope that wont get used as much as I would like. Heard a bit about Doctor optics but never had a good look at or through one and was wondering if they are any good, especially when compared to the likes of a zeiss or swaro???? Or any other suggestions???

Thanks, Phil.

I believe Zeiss were split into two companies after the war. Zeiss remained in the west with the old Carl zeiss Jena get caught in east Germany. Doctor has grown out of the east german company. Have looked at doctor binoculars and not a lot to choose between them and other German / Austrian brands. Don't be put off by their price. Meopta also well worth a look at.

Rumor has it that the fist scopes that came out with the Doctor name were very good - As good as Jena Zeiss, but later the quality seemed to be poorer - That was 10 years or so ago and things may have changed.
    As always take a good look through whatever fits your bill before parting with your cash.
    Try and look at Kahles, Minox and IOR, I've heard good reports about them.

Hi Phil
    I have a docter unipoint, really clear glass would thorouhly recommend them. Also have 25 year guarentee as a back up. Mine is only 18 months old but my mate has had a docter on his rifle for over 10 years and never had a problem.

I have IOR and have had several Scmidts and I rate the IOR I cant see a differance opticaly but I have never bothered to do a twilight back to back test.

Dave

I had a docter 3-12x56 (30mm) from 2003 and it was the dogs doo dahs. Every bit as good optically as the other Gerry manufacturers. Sold it on here last year as I also sold my 22-250. I had it on my 308, 223 and 22-250 and it perfomed really well.

They went a bit middle of the road but have raised their game lately with the illuminated reticles. Too much dosh now and I would not pay top dollar for one, On par with Meopta IMHO (which I also have) but not same as S&B, Swaro or proper Zeiss.

S&B are better mechanically (I have two of these) and will not comment on IOR as I have never seen one.

If I was to buy a new scope it would be S&B or Swarovski.

Have fun
    Last edited by dieseldan; 20-01-2011 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan View Post
    What the flock has that got to do with Docter Optic's?????

Read the farking post , did he ask what scopes you have and your opinions of your said items??? And seeing as you have never bothered to check either.....................

I had a docter 3-12x56 (30mm) from 2003 and it was the dogs doo dahs. Every bit as good optically as the other Gerry manufacturers. Sold it on here last year as I also sold my 22-250. I had it on my 308, 223 and 22-250 and it perfomed really well.

They went a bit middle of the road but have raised their game lately with the illuminated reticles. Too much dosh now and I would not pay top dollar for one, On par with Meopta IMHO (which I also have) but not same as S&B, Swaro or proper Zeiss.

S&B are better mechanically (I have two of these) and will not comment on IOR as I have never seen one.

If I was to buy a new scope it would be S&B or Swarovski.

Have fun
    Dieseldan- wtf has meopta got to do with the OP! At risk of being shot down by Dieseldan, I also have a Meopta 7x50 which I think is the dags doo dah too!!

I bought a second hand 243 which came with 6x42 Docter scope on it (so unsure of age) and found it to be excellent. Great clarity and holds light not too bad for dusk/nighttime shooting. But I would place Meopta above the Docter.

I hear a lot of stalkers/vermin control guys going on about Zeiss, Swaro etc but my budget (or her in doors) dictates and I have what I have. On demonstration, the meopta has immensley impressed the aforementioned 'rolls royce' brigade.

What is a 1 year old Doctor worth. 3-12x50 no4 Ill Ret?

My buddy has one here that he is about to trade in for a NV scope - I think he is barking, but that is another story.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

i have a 8x56 doctor that served my very well for over twenty years sent it back last year for service might be bashed and crashed a bit but still fine and workes fine . i also have a 4-12 -40 this was purchased in a closing down sale and is a spare and a 4-12 56 on a 2506 all are good scopes . i also have 3 6x42 smits and two 8x56 in use and cant tell the difference even at twilight time . shop around there are some good deals out there at the moment and some good scopes for sale on this sight some times

A lot isn't said about DOCTER scopes by their owners............... probably because they wouldn't like the prices to match the quality.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!