Disease Testing in Wild Boar

sika seeker

I picked up a copy of Sporting Shooter this week (feb issue), it not my usual read but it found it quite good.:)

there is an interesting read in there on wild Boar and the testing for a disease called "TRICHINELLA SPIRALIS" wich is done free by the FSA.:D

although on the "to do list" i have not been out for Boar so i have (untill now) not herd of this.

this disease can, so it says kill humans!
there has been no recorded case in the UK, but i was woundering out of interest if you regular Boar hunters have herd of it and do you test for it?

regards
SS

As far as Im aware the Game Dealers test for it.

I believe it is only from eating under cooked meat.

Iirc its a intestinal worm.

thanks for the feed back guys,
i have just had another quick read of the article and it dont mention the Game dealers testing for it but it does say "This is non-mandatory but many game dealers will now not accept a carcass without a certificate proving that it is negative"

but as Orion has said it makes sense!

I asked the very same thing this morning, of IanF, whilst breakfasting,....... a small clipping of diaphragm is taken during gralloch, this is sent off for the test, & is usually completed within 24 hours, no recorded cases are known at present, alongside a comment from my hunting partner, was also that sheep are susceptible/can carry the disease too ??

hi guys, this is from Wikipedia.

i dont fancy eating the Fox thou :D !

Trichinella spiralis is a nematode parasite, occurring in rats, pigs, and humans, and is responsible for the disease trichinosis. It is sometimes referred to as the "pork worm" due to it being found commonly in pork or rat products that are undercooked.

Description
Trichinella species are the smallest nematode parasite of humans, which has an unusual life cycle and one of the most widespread and clinically important parasites in the world.[1] The small adult worms mature in the intestine of an intermediate host such as a pig. Each adult female produces batches of live larvae, which bore through the intestinal wall, enter the blood (to feed on it) and lymphatic system, and are carried to striated muscle Once in the muscle, they encyst, or become enclosed in a capsule. Humans can be infected by eating infected pork or wild carnivores such as fox, cat or bear.[1]

Interesting thread.
When you say "send off a sample for the test".. who do you send it to and how?. Has anyone got any experience of doing this ?.
I would be interested to know as there are reports of boar on one of my stalking areas and I would appreciate advice on how to proceed should one be bagged.
Thanks
S.

It may be a voluntary scheme for individual hunters, but all wild boar and WB hybrids that go through the UK slaughter houses have to be tested for Trichinella, and as a producer/farmer of domestic pigs and WB/iron age pigs for general comsumption through the butcher network its only right that everyting is tested.
Farmers get enough bad press when an outbreak of something occurs- or some kid puts its fingers in its mouth after a farm visit after touching the lovely lambs/pigs on a school trip to a farm and not wasing their hands-- although if thse kids were allowed to play in the sand pits etc they be become immune to the everyday " bad bugs".

Its "ok" to assume as stint in the freezer will cure -- but as far as I am aware its -20 and for 3 weeks-- but then there is the ago old question how long to cook it for espically if you reat it like venison--a quick flash on the pan then rest and consume.

Yes the UK is currenty free but with more and more boar about the place and they consume anything, they might even take the place of the fox for clearing up road kill etc etc, who knows what they will carry-pass into the food chain without testing.

Sheep carrying Trichinella, not true as far as I am aware-- its mainly animals that eat meats/worms-- ie foxes,cats, lynx, bear etc and as I said WB will eat anything-- they even eat foxes if they get into they pens when they have a litter they are trying to protect!!

I shoot the WB as well as farm them-- anythat cannot/will not go back to the designated areas, hit the deck!!

The FSA have all the details-- mine go off to Bristol -- in Europe you just take the sample to the local Vet.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.
When you say "send off a sample for the test".. who do you send it to and how?. Has anyone got any experience of doing this ?.
I would be interested to know as there are reports of boar on one of my stalking areas and I would appreciate advice on how to proceed should one be bagged.
Thanks
S.

you can call Keith Hunt on 01932 357 486 for a free test kit.

all you do as i understand from the article is cut a small sample of diaphragm and send it to the FSA, they will call you with th results in 24hrs and you'll have a certificate in another 24hrs.

hi Hog, i think you are correct in saying that Sheep are not carriers, the info i have says CARNIVOROUS MAMMALS.

good luck
SS

Last edited:
I ment to say "sorry Finnbear270" My father tests every Boar we shoot , every one so far is all clear and we get a simple result Age, sex, and so on.The boar in the photo had a un-expanded 243 in the back of its neck which turned the fat green a little,Other than that,all fine

There has been a case of trichinella in the uk but they have been a direct result of dodgy meat products imports by foreign visitors and within a very small group of people who directly consumed the product.

Trichinella like other tiny internal parasites won't survive the cooking process providing the meat it heated thoughout and not 'rare' obviously.

Trichinella rarely kills but the symptoms are very varied. Some people suffer flu like symptoms, nausia, sickness, squits but individuals react differently so the old and young are more vulnerable. It's not here in the UK but a problem in Eastern Europe.

If you send an email request for testing kit(s) to:

WildGameGuidance@Foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk

They will send them out to you. Contains all the information and instructional bumf, sample collection tube or bag and postage paid envelope or labels.

Its recomended that all Boar for human consumpsion is tested for Trichinella, here in Sweden. Very few are found to carry the parasite but there have been a couple that have had a huge Trichinella burden.
I seem to remember that there are 2 strains of Trichinella? One can be killed by freezing and the other type can't. proper cooking is the only answer.
Foxs,badgers and bear are the main source of infection. It also pays to dispose of any boar guts so they are not eaten by foxs Etc.

Last edited:
Back