Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when head shooting go's wrong

when head shooting go's wrong

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head shot gone wrong.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	661.2 KB 
ID:	4454

Got a call from a freind who had shot at a roe doe and thought he had missed but wasn't sure ! so he asked me to come and have a look with the dog.
    on arrivel at the shot site some four hours later there was no blood, no bone, and just a few hairs, jet my young Lab followed a trail for about 500 yards then nothing, it just stoped and it was also getting dark so i said i would come back the next day and try and follow it up.
    The following day i went back to the shot site and started again, followed the trial back to where the dog had stoped before and after some time looking around that point the dog seemed to get on the track again, 300 yards later there was a little blood where the doe had settled down on the stubble for the night, after that nothing so i told him that maybe he had missed or just a graze.
    The next day the deer was found only some 800 yards from where i and the dog had lost it for the second time, I feel bad enuff about not finding this doe the first time round ! but the dog is still only very young and still lerning her trade, maybe if my mate had put the bullet in the engine room i would not be posting this.

CF

You did your best, and you can't ask more than that. Your friend deserves recognition for not just putting it down as a clear miss and forgetting about it. I know some people are capable of achieving clean kills with heads shots, but I'm not and won't attempt to do so....engine room for me every time.

Was it still alive when found? Its eyes look bright still?

Cookingfat. Great effort mate, imho YOU and your Dog have NOTHING to feel BAD about So did your Friend tell you from the Start where on the Deer he had aimed ????????? Hope he has learned a HARD LESSON.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    You did your best, and you can't ask more than that. Your friend deserves recognition for not just putting it down as a clear miss and forgetting about it. I know some people are capable of achieving clean kills with heads shots, but I'm not and won't attempt to do so....engine room for me every time.
    +1 engine room every time.... Have never attempted or feel the need or desire to attempt a head shot....

However.... Sika... lower neck shot every time..

Armour plated there is no other deer that displays such remarkeable absorbtion to the shot...
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I don't know, looks like shot is 2-3" off target. If a heart shot is attempted and goes low 2-3" on
    a small animal the outcome could be similar to what happened here with the bad head shot.
    Of course I don't know what lead to the low shot, could have been head movement in which case
    H/L shot is a bit safer.
    edi

cooking fat,

you did your best with the goods to hand, shame your mate didn't get so lucky.
    as the high neck shot pros and cons will always rumple on, the degree of low shot i see on that high neck shot means your friend may well be better sticking to the engine room.

its not meant as a criticism but constructive advice.

atb f.

[QUOTE=pheasant sniper 1;175491
    However.... Sika... lower neck shot every time..

[/QUOTE]

Having shot hundreds of deer, I can honestly say that I have only ever lost one, and it was a Sika stag which I hit with a low neck shot at the end of the rut. I was fortunate enough to have Alan McCormick of BASC to help me search for it with his well trained dog, but alas, it was long gone! It went down like a sack of ***** with a 100 grain nostler BT out of a 25.06. Then it just got up and ran off like nothing had happened!
    Low neck shots are VERY dodgy on large animals as the spinal column doesn't follow the path of the central neck section as viewed from the side! It actually forms a strange 'S' shape within which is worth looking at and being able to visualise! The bone is actually very close to the front of the neck lower down. I just 'Creased' the back of the neck. Hopefully the bullet never expanded and he made a full recovery?
    I'll never know as it was never found. I felt really bad for a long time a studied Sika anatomy to try to understand my mistake. I would still neck shoot one though, but I'd favour a high neck shot on any larger species myself!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Having shot hundreds of deer, I can honestly say that I have only ever lost one, and it was a Sika stag which I hit with a low neck shot at the end of the rut. I was fortunate enough to have Alan McCormick of BASC to help me search for it with his well trained dog, but alas, it was long gone! It went down like a sack of ***** with a 100 grain nostler BT out of a 25.06. Then it just got up and ran off like nothing had happened!
    Low neck shots are VERY dodgy on large animals as the spinal column doesn't follow the path of the central neck section as viewed from the side! It actually forms a strange 'S' shape within which is worth looking at and being able to visualise! The bone is actually very close to the front of the neck lower down. I just 'Creased' the back of the neck. Hopefully the bullet never expanded and he made a full recovery?
    I'll never know as it was never found. I felt really bad for a long time a studied Sika anatomy to try to understand my mistake. I would still neck shoot one though, but I'd favour a high neck shot on any larger species myself!
    MS
    Hi Ms

We can only speak as we each individually find and experience...

Living in Poole i have seen many Sika run and make increadible distances with heart lung shots which when gralloched produce just mush for devasted hearts and lungs..

Their ability to cover these incredible distances still amazes me...

Personally i have not lost or had a problem with a neck shot sika

Dropping to the shot i follow up and bleed out..

I am sure with all the stalkers on here that every single preferred shot or best practice shot can throw up the one that got away scenario....

atb

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Had a roe run 70m up a steep bank tonight, top of it's heart was completely mashed by 165 grain partition that had expanded perfectly well. This round normaly drops heart lung shot animals on the spot. The Animal was not aware I was there before the shot was taken at 20m!! Some deer just seem to run more than others!!

I dont head or neck shoot much. The first animal I necked I could clearly see the gash on its throat when it ran off. fortunately for me it stoped at 70m side on with a back stop and I put one through its chest and droped it. Made me have a long hard think about the pros and cons of head/neck shooting animals.

Dave