Thread: Muntjac

Muntjac

Following a recent post by chiili123 about shooting roe kids and when they are dependant i thought it would be intresting to see where everyone stood when it comes to shooting doe muntjac

With me its just when i see them heavy. So far so good, but i am sure i will get it wrong one day and grass a milky doe in error and if that ever happens i imagine will be out with the dog to try and find the kid.

I shot a muntjac doe last year that id been watching with no sign of young about, when I got to her there was a kid with her. I had done all I thought I could to check there wasn't any with her but in the end it wasn't enough. I know I had to do it but I still struggle with having to shoot it and have the image in my head that I will never forget and not for the right reasons.

Regards Jon

Bds west.
    Unfortunately when you leave the house with a gun in your hand things like this will one day happen.
    I believe experiences like this make us more responsible, Therefor more conscious of our actions..
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

I shoot about 80 -100 muntjac a year, and try as I might, I have real problems in identifying a heavily pregnant doe in accordance with best practice!
    Most are shot in low light, and does rarely leave thick cover, and when they do, their lower body is normally obscured with grass or ground cover. Even when one is in the open, it is hard to distinguish as heavily pregnant unless it is almost fit to burst! You normally only get about a 3 second window of opportunity to make your decision too!
    It is difficult and mistakes are inevitable. There is no easy answer!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I shoot about 80 -100 muntjac a year, and try as I might, I have real problems in identifying a heavily pregnant doe in accordance with best practice!
    Most are shot in low light, and does rarely leave thick cover, and when they do, their lower body is normally obscured with grass or ground cover. Even when one is in the open, it is hard to distinguish as heavily pregnant unless it is almost fit to burst! You normally only get about a 3 second window of opportunity to make your decision too!
    It is difficult and mistakes are inevitable. There is no easy answer!
    MS
    MS
    +1 mate, If you have to shoot numbers you have to take every chance.

On my main estate we have a small window when the pheasants have finished and before the cover gets too high. We wont shoot a doe if it has a dependant if we can help it but do enough and........

Here's a good one slightly off topic but along the same lines. One bit of advice given about Muntjac is not to shoot does beiang followed by a buck as they will have just given birth. A couple of seasons ago on two seperate occasions I shot a doe and then spotted a buck which I hadn't seen earlier I also shot both bucks...... Both does were well preganant blows one bit of advice out of the water for me?????

Cheers Wayne