Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifled slugs and things

Rifled slugs and things

Following on from paul at barony's thread i was out shooting in the Aimpoint sight that i have mounted on my 870 remington. I use S&B slugs, now these slugs are of the Brenneke type. What you find is that they leave lead skid marks in the barrel. This leading is not easy to remove with a normal bronze brush so i have invested in a Lewis lead remover kit from Brownells, www.brownells.com Stock #516-102-001. I'm really impressed how effective this is on removing lead from the barrell.

The remington shoots slugs at 50 mtrs very well out of the 20" I/C choked barrel.
    I will do a comparison between how the Remington with the slug barrel shoots compaired to the Combi and a normal O/U shotgun at a later date

Looking forward to reading your results Jagare as I'm thinking about getting some slugs for my combi and O/U.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Jagare I look forward to reading your results. I have tried Sellior& Bellot through my over and under using skeet and improved cylinder choke tubes and no sights at 30 metres, the accuracy has been very good indeed, probably around 1.5" for each barrel. Obviously due to divergence the two barrels printed two seperate groups a couple of inches apart but perfectly acceptable for reasonable ranges say up to say 40 metres, though I know that in a gun like this the recommended maximum range is normally 30m. If I were to shoot a lot of slugs through my gun I would consider putting some form of sighting system on it such as a red dot or Williams open sights that clamp to the rib. I would then expect it to make a very good short range boar gun though perhaps a bit long (28" barrels) but obviously not as good as a single barreled gun like your 870.

i have posted a pic of my pig slug gun on the members gallery if any one is intrested?

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    i have posted a pic of my pig slug gun on the members gallery if any one is intrested?

Bob

For removing stubborn fouling in shotguns I find the Payne Gallway type of brush much better than the standard phosphor brushes.

Regarding the accuracy, I found that quarter choke gave the best results using Gamebore Buffalo slugs through my Benelli M2, but obviously it will be different depending on the gun and the make of slug, so trial and error is the best way forward as with rifles!

Alex

What sort of groupings do you achieve generally with 'good' slugs?

This is my "bear" gun... equally good for about anything nasty at close range. The group is Federal 2 3/4" standard slugs with a 6 o'clock hold on the bull.~Muir
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear Gun.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	4502

Group

Name:	Slug Gun Groups, 25 yards.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	4503

I had the chance to shoot slug 14 years ago, it was really good.

Here are a couple of links.

http://www.buckandslug.webspace.virginmedia.com/

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

[QUOTE=Muir;176287]This is my "bear" gun... equally good for about anything nasty at close range. The group is Federal 2 3/4" standard slugs with a 6 o'clock hold on the bull.~Muir

Name:	Bear Gun.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	4502

Group

hi
    back in the early 1970's i was visiting france and a hunting friend ask me to try an old SBS shotgun in 16 gauge side lever or under lever(i can't recall exactly) with a kind brenneke like french made slugs.
    the target was at 30 meters range .he told me i am going to be surprised by result. the gun was very well balanced and light with i guess 70 cm long barrel and choke was probabely in right barrel and full in the left barrel, because they have used it for bird hunting even ducks!!.
    i fired two rapid shots and when i checked the target . it was two side by side holes!!in the target exact where i had pointed the shotgun at. i did that a couple of more times with same result!!when i see your pictures i remember that event. i don't know how the gunmaker had regulated that shotgun, but it was amazing!.
    cheers
    daniel