Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Interlock

Hornady Interlock

Hoping some of you reloaders can answer a question for me !

I need to know when loading Hornady 100g interlock do they have to be seated so the cannular ring is just sitting on the case mouth ?

I ask because my OAL to 15thou off the lands leaves the cannular ring 2-3mm above the case.

My intention was just to load them as i normally would for OAL and don't worry about where the cannular ring ends up.

I would appreciate your views.

Prov

Established Poster
    Seat them as you would normally the cannelure is part of the interlock system, If you seat to the cannelure it usually gives you standard factory overall length
    and you use it if you want to crimp the case, you may need to fine tune the powder charge if the bullet shape is much deferent from your usual bullet
    Robert.

Hi Robert

Thanks for that.That's what i thought but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again

Prov

As robertw says.

Ken.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

I'm new to reloading and I'm using 100gr Hornady Interlocks in 243 for a Tikka. The collar sits approx 2mm up from the case on mine too.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this. I was given the same info the other day. But if you take the cannular ring down for Factory crimp (Lee Dies), then it leaves the finished OAL much less than the min OAL.

As a result, I've left the cannular ring above to give just over Min OAL, but still used factory crimp die. AM I wrong to do this???

SS

You would giggle if you saw where the canellure on Hornady 129gr or 140gr bullets ends up when loading just short of the rifling for a Tikka 6.5x55. There's about 5-6mm gap 'tween neck and groove, and it makes you think your die setting is all wrong.

Hornady Spire Point bullets have a much greater taper from parallel section to nose than any other make (I believe the term is 'secant ogive, as opposed to 'tangent ogive') so the resulting Overall Length is actually greater using these than most other makes such as Speer or Sierra. This all sounds a bit geeky, but in practice you have to seat Hornady bullets out more than other brands. I've never found that the canellure is in the right place so have got accustomed to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffolk Shooter View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this. I was given the same info the other day. But if you take the cannular ring down for Factory crimp (Lee Dies), then it leaves the finished OAL much less than the min OAL.

As a result, I've left the cannular ring above to give just over Min OAL, but still used factory crimp die. AM I wrong to do this???

SS
    No your not the Lee Factory crimp makes it's own cannulure even on bullets like Speer which do not have one. Speer say that the Lee die MUST not be used with their bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    You would giggle if you saw where the canellure on Hornady 129gr or 140gr bullets ends up when loading just short of the rifling for a Tikka 6.5x55. There's about 5-6mm gap 'tween neck and groove, and it makes you think your die setting is all wrong.

Hornady Spire Point bullets have a much greater taper from parallel section to nose than any other make (I believe the term is 'secant ogive, as opposed to 'tangent ogive') so the resulting Overall Length is actually greater using these than most other makes such as Speer or Sierra. This all sounds a bit geeky, but in practice you have to seat Hornady bullets out more than other brands. I've never found that the canellure is in the right place so have got accustomed to this.
    that made me scratch my head first time around loading 140gn sst's for my 6.5x55 !

lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

SD Regular
    The cennelure position seems to be "set" for use in American cartridges. A case in point is the Hornady 8mm bullets. Especially the 195 grain spitzer in 8mm.

If seated to correct overall length (CIP) in either an 8x57 or an 8x60 it will be some good way away from the case mouth.

I can only assume it is where it is so as to "work" in 8mm Remington Magnum cartridges and give a seating position where the cannelure on that cartridge is at case mouth position.

It is a damn nuisance. Totally and purely cosmetic of course but does spoil the effort we handloaders take to make our cartridges look as put together with some profession!