Hanging on the wall

willie_gunn

Just got back from a few days in Austria for a family wedding. Every field seems to have one or more high seats in them and both the hotels we stayed in had trophies on the wall. The only hunting shop I found was closed :(

This chap was hanging off the wall at the restaurant in Feldkirch:

IMG00005-20110120-2018.jpg

From the plaque underneath he was shot in 1969.

This was part of the selection of trophies at the hotel in Schwarzenberg:

IMG00010-20110122-1901.jpg

A mixture of chamois and roe. None of the latter were anything special by British standards, but it was interesting seeing the different conformation. In the main bar there was a selection of red, roe and chamois.

Despite my quizzing the wedding guests I didn't manage to find anyone who hunted, so I'll have to do some separate research to see what would be involved in going back there to hunt.

Interested to hear of anyone's experience hunting in Austria and what is involved.

willie_gunn

Dom, looks like you were in an area completely devoid of anti's, by your high seat & head count, all that's missing is a session on the Adambrau.:)

Willie_Gunn,
I have visited Austria twice and again been amazed at the High Seats and Towers that are everywhere. I was also amazed that some actually face out across roads and some even seem to be right next to town and village boundrys.The Austrians are very lucky to have such support for there Hunting.

Dalkur

Dalkur

You're absolutely right - I should have thought to mention that the high seats seem to be by roads, motorways, etc. There must be far less of an issue there than here, particularly thinking about the number of threads on here recently about high seats going missing. Mind you, the Austrian high seats seemed pretty substantial!

Steve, it's going to take my liver a week to recover from the beer - there was a great brewery in Feldkirch that we found, and thought it would be miserable of us not to sample all their different brews :oops:

Dom

Back