Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Rifle?

What Rifle?

I know this has come up hundreds of times on hundreds of different posts, but here goes! I am pretty old school when It comes to my fishing and shooting equipment. My rods are pretty old but do me well, my shotgun is an old Lanber but I am pretty lucky with it. Have been looking at a few different rifles over the last few months but cannot make up my mind as to what I really need. In the past I have shot Remmingtons, Parker Hale's, Brownings and some rifles I cant remember. But to me they all just " worked". I am not the type of person that notices difference in weights of equipment, or how responsive the trigger is. When I get used to something thats me done! So, after handling a few Sako's and Tikkas in my local shops lately, I cant help but think that I would be just as happy with an old Parker Hale for just a few hundred pounds! Anybody else agree with my sentiment or am I wrong!!!! Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by TGEvans View Post
    I know this has come up hundreds of times on hundreds of different posts, but here goes! I am pretty old school when It comes to my fishing and shooting equipment. My rods are pretty old but do me well, my shotgun is an old Lanber but I am pretty lucky with it. Have been looking at a few different rifles over the last few months but cannot make up my mind as to what I really need. In the past I have shot Remmingtons, Parker Hale's, Brownings and some rifles I cant remember. But to me they all just " worked". I am not the type of person that notices difference in weights of equipment, or how responsive the trigger is. When I get used to something thats me done! So, after handling a few Sako's and Tikkas in my local shops lately, I cant help but think that I would be just as happy with an old Parker Hale for just a few hundred pounds! Anybody else agree with my sentiment or am I wrong!!!! Tim.
    I have a Sako and an old Parker-Hale, easy

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I suppose if you not that bothered it comes down to...if you get a cheaper gun what are the things that could go wrong, if any and how much would it cost if something did go wrong. I would have a word with your gunsmith as he will know what is likely to go wrong with specific guns and the costs.I suppose you could be classed as a 1% ...cos 99% of us here are total tarts and slaves to the clever adverts and have musthavitus

SD Regular
    Parker Hale? You're having a laff!

But, seriously, if you want a Mauser actioned rifle then they probably were about the best value and the best for price accuracy. Just a pity about some of the AWFUL stock design that PH inflicted upon its UK customers.

All "faux Weatherby" with whiteline spacers, stupid trapezoidal fore-ends and skip-line chequering. Ughh!

Attachment 4506

Horrible, horrible, horrible!

Having said that I've two PH rifles, both Model 81 Classic, in 6mm Remington and 270 Winchester. The 270, in the picture below, cost me 307 including premium AND came with the Zeiss 6x42 'scope shown on it in that price. Goodness...I sold the 'scope on eBay for 220 less their "take". So my 100 PH was quite good value I think!

Probably one of the few rifles that actually isn't the usual PH assault on the visual senses!

Attachment 4507

Ph M81 Classic. Just a pity it came within years of PH shutting for good.

My other two rifles are both Belgian. 280 Remington and 8x60S. Both based on Mauser actions FWIW.

Attachment 4508

The Belgian "heavy Mauser" in 8x60S. And all for 200 plus auction premium! With a Boehler Blitz barrel and the claw mounted 'scope too.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 23-01-2011 at 21:57.

Don't discount an older sako they were better made than the newer ones and they might cost you a bit more than a PH but will hold their value,not that there's anything wrong with a PH.

As others have said, there is nothing wrong with Parker-Hale!

If you have some time, rather than an pressing need for a rifle right now, take your time and you'll be able to pick up a good one for ( comparitively ) peanuts.

I have come to listen to Enfieldspares' posts very carefully and cannot add to his post below in substance. I will point out that to build and sell mauser action rifle like the PH 1200 today would need a price at least on a par with a Sako 85 if not considerably more.

Any money saved on the rifle should be put in to the optics, at the risk of labouring the point your choice of first scope is more important than your first rifle,

So, after handling a few Sako's and Tikkas in my local shops lately, I cant help but think that I would be just as happy with an old Parker Hale for just a few hundred pounds! Anybody else agree with my sentiment or am I wrong!!!! Tim.
    No Tim your not wrong and yes I do agree that most modern production rifles are not all they are cracked up to be. Before the nay sayers start jumping down my throat Parker-Hale did have problems soemtimes and quality of assembly certainly dipped during the Modular Industries take over under the Bremmer Arms name. However the barrel making seemed to remain good though out.

Sadly for some of us it took too long to realise what we were missing. When I think of what I could have brought new and didn't .

The reason for the California styling was that was what was selling in the US. P-H did do different finishes and stuff fro certain markets. In the UK we might have got the "California" style roll over stock but at least it had an oiled finish. of course some had the glossy poly finish liek the 1200V which was squarley aimed at the American market. the fact that it was a suitable foxing rifle seems to have not clicked with the P-H marketing dept.

Parker-Hale offered a number of different models and stock styles:-

The 1100 Deluxe

1200C... This is a later one hence the rounded fore tip.

1100 Lightweight (Lwt)

Model 1000 std

1200 Super (just to upset Enfieldspares )

not everyone finds it so distastful and it's quite a comfortable stock to use.

1100M although they used this style on the Safari model.

1200V this was one model with a factory free floated barrel. Note the recoil pad... not fitted correctly. It has now been changed for a thinner pad and ground to fit properly.

Then there was the Midland 2100:-

This one has been lightly customised by a previous owner.

Due to others also discovering what your thinking the prices are going up same goes for the BSA's as well .

An old Parker-Hale can be a good buy if you just want a cheap working rifle, I had a .308 Safari for a while and it was a perfectly serviceable and effective rifle. Just keep an eye on the ads here, guntrader.co.uk and your local gun shop used racks. Parker-Hale went down the tubes years ago so those rifles that are around now are getting old and could be well worn, bear this in mind. There are many perfectly good makes out there, if you are not set on anything specific try a few different makes, see what fits your build and meets your requirements.

I saw a BSA 30-06 for a hundred and something quid in this months sporting shooter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker-Hale stock.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	4524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker-Hale rifle.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	4523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker-Hale action.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	4525
    This is my M81 Classic in .308. An almost perfect Mauser 98 (Santa-Barbara) action, which If I care to re-barrel at some time will more than see me out. The stock is walnut and has beautiful figuring, slightly better on one side than the other, but that is normal on a Parker-Hale. It was traded in because the chap who owned it wanted a Howa with a three position safety. It is possible to buy a three poition safety for the 98 action for less than $180.00. I paid 290.00 delivered to my local RFD for this rifle.

At the moment the stock is drying after me re-finishing it. I may well have the rest re-blued. I have also found a Williams ramp sight and front sight shroud from Norman Clark to complete the set up.

This will be my gun for boar, in the UK, and bigger deer (if I get the chance). It will also be my back up in case of stupidity setting in, like last year when I went to re-cock the bolt on my Sako and it sprang apart, all over the place I could not find all the bits

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.