Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30/30

30/30

just curious anyone using a 30/30 lever action rifle for deer in uk. just a question do not bite off my head

Alot of L/A 30/30 are used over here, and from what I hear they do quite well, easy to carry and a good bush rifle..I not sure of the legalities of using one in the U.K though.I like the L/A am looking at one now on trade me a Marlin 450.oh and a 44 too

SD Regular
    No head biting.

The "problem" with the 30-30 is that until recently it was actually illegal under the Deer Act(s) as not having sufficient velocity. Now however it can, like the 44 Magnum, be used on smaller deer it may get a following?

As a rilfe for woodland stalking with the right bullet put in the right place I'd think that it would be adequate.

Good Lord! Adequate? It certainly is! A very popular loading for the 30-30 here is a 125 grain FP at about 2600 fps. It slaps the hell out of large mule deer at close range (<125 yards). I have three or four lever action 30-30's and have killed deer with all but one of them so far. I saw a cow elk killed outright with a 30-30 using Remmy factory ammo a while back. It was a 90 yard shot and she fell down after three wobbly steps.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Good Lord! Adequate? It certainly is! A very popular loading for the 30-30 here is a 125 grain FP at about 2600 fps. It slaps the hell out of large mule deer at close range (<125 yards). I have three or four lever action 30-30's and have killed deer with all but one of them so far. I saw a cow elk killed outright with a 30-30 using Remmy factory ammo a while back. It was a 90 yard shot and she fell down after three wobbly steps.~Muir
    Ahhh Muir the problem is that the ones who got involved and "advised" the powers that be liked fast bullets. Hence a lot of classic cartridges are not allowed for deer. In Scotland due to the required velocity of 2450fps such classics like the 6.5x54MS are no longer allowed of course they completely forgot that Kynoch for one loaded lighter bullets that exceeded their imposed velocity. But the "experts" only knew about the 160 grain loading. Even 303 is marginal as for some reason they set the bar at the nominal velocity of the .303 wiht the 174 grn bullet and as we know some will fall short of that velocity so you breaking the law. As for the 215 Grn bullet......................... forget it. It cannot kill even our small Roe deer cleanly Elephant yes as Bell demonstrated but Deer nope .

You should have heard the sharp intake of breathe when making enquiries about booking days or outings and the 30-30 was mentioned. As you know I load mine with Hornady 130 Gr Spire Points at 2800fps. Meets the rules easily but of course not so many have the interest we do in such matters.

Now as to factory loads the only ones I could get where Winchester loads in 150 grain. I found the HP's easily available and destructive on Fox at about 65 yards:-

The exit took the off side front leg nearly off. Instant kill but I wonder how it would be on say Roe?

That was a good sized Fox too:-

The Staffie weighs 53lbs that is standing next to the fox and yes half his tail was missing but healed over.

The other factory ammunition that I found one box of was the 150 Grain Silver Tip. As yet I have never seen any 170 grain ammunition for sale and the rifle was regulated for 170 Gr ammunition according the maker.

so any recommendations; regarding make/barrel lenght etc if one was to go down this road.i am lefthanded and have 2 lefthanded bolt guns but like the idea of an ampdexerous gun. big word not right spelling

SD Regular
    Go for the longest possible barrel AND (advice from American friends) buy a Marlin and not a Winchester! Now as a "lefty" that might cause problems!

Why well not only the obvious "top eject" advantage when mounting a telescopic sight but also in woodland muck and dirt and rain and snow isn't going to fall inside the action through the top.

There's usually a fair good lot of these things go through the large auction houses and they don't make much.

Or you could consider the faster contemporary cartridges to the 30-30 if they also come up at auction.

Personally maybe even something in 307 Winchester? Which is pretty much a Model 92.

Try in mainland GB Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet. I think he has a Marlin 30-30 in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Go for the longest possible barrel AND (advice from American friends) buy a Marlin and not a Winchester! Now as a "lefty" that might cause problems!

Why well not only the obvious "top eject" advantage when mounting a telescopic sight but also in woodland muck and dirt and rain and snow isn't going to fall inside the action through the top.

There's usually a fair good lot of these things go through the large auction houses and they don't make much.

Or you could consider the faster contemporary cartridges to the 30-30 if they also come up at auction.

Personally maybe even something in 307 Winchester? Which is pretty much a Model 92.

Try in mainland GB Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet. I think he has a Marlin 30-30 in stock.
    The Model 92 is a short, top eject action for pistol-length cartridges. The 307 is all but a dead cartridge... unless they shipped all the brass to the UK as it is pretty uncommon here.

Winchester's Model 94 AE (Angle Eject) is scope friendly but you must look to find one. I like the Marlins but I own both and enjoy both. For a lefty, the Winchester's top eject might appeal, but I know left handers that shoot Marlins with no problem.~Muir

There's a guy I know who is quite well known in the upper eschelons of the deer world and he used a 30-30 lever action for quite a bit, and he swore by it. He said it pole-axed everything he hit with it. As far as I'm aware, the velocity requirement was only ever a problem in Scotland, but even in the rest of the UK making 1700ft/lbs could be a struggle through a short barrel.
    He used to get the same teeth sucking and harumphing when he mentioned 30-30 as Brit Hunter mentions.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

the yanks like um when hunting in thick timber