Scope Poll. 8X56 or 6X42. Which do you use and why?

Which do you prefer, 8X56 or 6X42?

• Total voters

Pigglet1

I thought I'd run a poll regarding the above as I currently have an 8X56 but am thinking of trying a schmidt 6X42.
The 8X56 is a great scope but I'm wondering if I can manage with the lower mag which will result in a lower more compact scope and less weight, both of which are high on my list of desirabilities in a scope.

Please only respond if you have or have used one or both of the above:)

I thought I'd run a poll regarding the above as I currently have an 8X56 but am thinking of trying a schmidt 6X42.
The 8X56 is a great scope but I'm wondering if I can manage with the lower mag which will result in a lower more compact scope and less weight, both of which are high on my list of desirabilities in a scope.

Please only respond if you have or have used one or both of the above:)

I use a S&B 8x56 Illuminated. Bloody brilliant scope. When I get my .243 will be putting one straight on that too. I have a light rifle so weight is not really an issue with me.

Cheers

When I started stalking and was just about to buy my first rifle and kit, there were people who told me catagorically that 6x42 was the best, and others who were equally vehment that the 8x56 was the way to go. Being of an independant mind, I bought the best scope I could afford at the time, a 7x50 S&B from Macleods.

Since buying a second rifle I have put an 8x56 on my main rifle, I do wish I had bought one before! There is no doubt in my mind that an 8x56 is far better for my usage.

Simon

PS, I had used a 1.5x6x42 S&B with mildot many years ago and it was a fine 'scope, but for what I do now the 8x56 is far superior.

I've had both...

8x56 is better at night for foxing, but other than that - I found there is little in it.

6 x 42, mainly because I can mount it lower which means I get a better "cheek weld" on the stock. Plus it's a bit lighter and more compact, but not a lot I guess. I also have a 4-16 x 50 scope; the 50mm objective seems a good compromise.

For "daytime" and short - medium range use the 6x42 is fine. (although I personally like 8x magnification more than 6) If low mounted makes for good "cheek weld" as stated by Andrew. Keeps weight down and sideways rifle balance more ideal for me.
"Night time" and longer range use the 8x56 is better.
The 50 to 52 mm objective diameter scopes do seem to be most appropriate for me.
Whatever scope size you get make sure you mount it as low as possible without touching the barrel. A badly positioned scope will make for slow target aquisition and poor grouping.

for mainly deer stalking ide say 6x42..swaro or s+b,,both are great.:thumb: you already have a 8x56... buy a 6x42 s+b or swaro, second hand or new give it a try....if you don't like it you will not loose by selling it a few years down the line. PS had s+b 8x56..now swaro 6x42.

Last edited:
I had a Swarovski 6x42 a long time ago, Changed it for an 8x50, and then bought another 8x50. Used two 8x50's for approximately 10 years until I started reloading. Use variable scopes now. High power for load testing. 7.5 times for stalking. If you reload, I would suggest getting as good a variable scope as you can afford. Rgds JCS

The 6x42 is a classic stalking scope, (great for deerstalking) which can be used on low mount's,
8x56 is a good stalking /foxing scope, (by far best light gathering capabilitiy), but high mount's can be a bit of a problem (cheek weld).
At present i use a Swaro 4-12 x 50 which I find is a good compromise.

Rgds. Buck.

PS. if between 6x42 and 8x56, It would be the first.

Last edited:
Started with a 6X42 lisenfeld on a 270 which limited target aquisition particularly if you wish to kill more than one deer in a group. Changed it for 8X56 S&B which managed to fit without high mounts then fitted 8X56 on my 22-250 without the high mounts and managed to neck shoot four deer in rapid time due to the visible field of the scope. 8X56 is usually standard Police issue now.

I've had 2 6x42 scopes in the past (Leupold and Lisenfeld) and they are good for woodland stalking where range is short, but the 8x56 lets you reach out further with confidence if you have any open spaces on your land.
My 243 currently wears a Schmidt 8x56 , but if I could have afforded/justified it I would have liked a variable with a bit more top end, maybe 10 or 12x.
My 308 has a Tasco Titan 3-12x52 on it which I think is a cracking scope yet no where near as expensive as German glass, but sadly no longer available.

Last edited:
I voted for the 6x42 as I can mount it lower and I also much prefer the wider field of view that 6 power gives - good for watching what is happening around the periphery both before and after the shot. I have used higher power scopes but do find I am much faster in the field with 6 power. I have quite happily taken foxes at c 200 yds with my 243 with 6x42. But I am blessed with very good eyesight. Where many 6x scopes may well fall down is the thickness of the reticle - I have a 6x42 Zeiss with a German No4 and the central cross hairs are quite thick, whereas the Meopta 6x42 has much finer cross hair.

I have a S&B 8X56 on my 243 i swear by it ,no faffing about with mag for me, great scope, looking at getting a second one when my 308 variation comes through:D.

ATB
Dave

Well with 69% in favour of 8X56 so far I'll stick with what I have for the time being. I have an adjustable cheek piece but I like the idea of a low profile as possible. I may well try a second hand 6X at some point though as sugested.

Back