Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on preventing getting hair on the meat when skinning

Tips on preventing getting hair on the meat when skinning

Anyone got any good tips on how to prevent loose hair getting onto the meat when skinning your deer?

Got a Roe doe yesterday, and the hair comes out by the handfull! Currently hanging inthe skin in the garage for a few days.

Having had the frustration of trying to pick off hairs from the meat before, if anyone has any good tips, I'd be very grateful, and I'm sure they'll also be of interest to any newcomers to our beloved pastime!

Thanks

RH

wipe it off with a clean damp clothe

Lay the animal on its back on a trestle with head and legs removed (or similar such as workmate, saw horse, etc). Then, carefully slit the underside of all legs and neck. Skin as much of the animal as you can in this position. Gravity makes the skin fall away as it is released so no hair should get on the meat - so far, so good!
    Then, carefully suspend the animal by either the front or back legs. The remainder of the skin should pull away with minimum effort and maybe some minor cutting of sinews.
    Job done!
    MS

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Roe Hunter View Post
    Anyone got any good tips on how to prevent loose hair getting onto the meat when skinning your deer?

Got a Roe doe yesterday, and the hair comes out by the handfull! Currently hanging inthe skin in the garage for a few days.

Having had the frustration of trying to pick off hairs from the meat before, if anyone has any good tips, I'd be very grateful, and I'm sure they'll also be of interest to any newcomers to our beloved pastime!

Thanks

RH

Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 24-01-2011 at 14:52.

Few tips here: Skinning a Hanging Roe Deer

Always cut from inside to out to minimise hair release, and roll the skin away as you pull it to stop the hairy side touching the meat.

Personally I never use water near the meat, dampen a cloth with vinegar and rub any hairs of with this.

Quote Originally Posted by K333ROE View Post
    Personally I never use water near the meat, dampen a cloth with vinegar and rub any hairs of with this.
    The use of vinegar?? is this from your MN days? seems like a good idea to me anti-bacteria and to tenderise the meat in one go!!

I tried washing it off with a hosepipe once .... oops!!

It created a layer of jellyfied slime all over the meat.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I did that one too,

Lots of practice,keep the skin as alex said rolled back as you go try not to let it flap back,inevitabley you'll get a few hairs usualy on the hind legs use some very lightly dampend kitchen towel to remove it.
    Neil.