Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats going on?

Whats going on?

Attachment 4531

I decided to check the zero on my Tikka .243 yesterday before going out today.

I shot one at 50yds (the one on the line an inch above zero)
    I shot one at 100yds (the one immediately above/next to the 50yd shot)
    I shot 2 at 200yds (the ones an inch high and an inch to the left, there was a 7-8mph r-l wind blowing)
    I appreciate that one shot doesnt give a representative idea of the 'true' zero (the deer dont seem to stay around much for more than one Ive found).
    Have I just been lucky with each shot?

FYI:100gr interlocks
    Last edited by limulus; 25-01-2011 at 18:15. Reason: remembered to add the picture this time
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

limulus

It's very hard to say, but possibly your first shot is rather high. Perhaps you could update your comments with the elevation that you expected to get with each shot. I set my .243 to strike 1 inch high at 100yds, be spot on about 160 yds and therefore low at 200yds. Also what kind of scope were you using? I generally fire at least two shots from a given position/range before drawing any conclusions. Perhaps you could repeat with 3 or more shots at each range?

In summary, not enough info. Rgds JCS

SnB zenith 2.5-10x56. I, in theory, zeroed at 1" high at 100yds.
    I expected some drift from the zero line due to the wind, especially at 200yds, but was puzzled as to why the 2 shots are still at 1" high at 200yds.
    Quad sticks

limulus

Thanks for the info. Three thoughts spring to mind:

What brand of brass are you using and is it sorted in any way?
    What is your cleaning regime?
    Someone else will be more inspired than me.

It all looks good, but something is as you suggest, not quite right.

Good luck. JCS

Tumble once fired 'brass' (nickel coated, fired through my gun) until nice n shiny.
    Size.
    Trim to length if necessary
    Add cap
    Add powder
    Add head and crimp 0, 180, 90,180
    Quad sticks

I think the multiple crimps are the source of your inconsistency. Can I suggest working up a new load without any crimps. Good luck. JCS

How do you sight in 1" high at 50 and have it 1" hgh at 100? Especially with a 56MM objective? I would think that a 50M impact would be either dead on or, most likely, a bit low as your scope is so high above the center line of the bore. (Never understood the fascination for such huge telescopes!)

As to the crimp: I don't think the crimp is your problem, but if you are using the Factory Crimp there is no need to rotate the cartridge. The crimping collet will put a four point crimp with one stroke. That's all you need. Lee has mentioned that some shooters rotate the Neck (sizing) Collet die 90-degrees for a second stroke...Muir

Perhaps you need to shoot a few proper groups. That is five rounds at least and see if this is normal with your rifle. singles and doubles will tell you little in real terms although the first shot is what counts you will never know how the rifle and you actually perfomr until you test it out.

I think brithunter you are correct, the single 50yd shot probably doesnt reflect a true group and I did expect it to be either a tadge low or spot on.
    The thing thats puzzling me more however is I know I zeroed in at 100yds 1" high so would have expected a couple of inches drop at 200yds or are BTSP heads flatter than I thought? The one shot at 100yds was really just a confirming shot and I was happy with that.
    To add to the discussion I did go out on tuesday and held an inch low at 60yds and killed a roe doe with a clean neck shot
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I think brithunter you are correct, the single 50yd shot probably doesnt reflect a true group and I did expect it to be either a tadge low or spot on.
    Reviewing all the comments above, I think there is an issue with where your first cold clean bore shot is going. I think that needs further investigation.

Good luck. JCS