Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the Most From the 6.5x55

Getting the Most From the 6.5x55

I have not got into reloading because a) I don't know anyone who does it and b) it all seemed quite complicated and a lot of hassle.

I have just read the thread Muir started regarding reloading on a budget and the Lee Classic Loader, and done a bit of research and it suddenly all seems a lot more accessible. My question is do you need to reload to get the best out of a 6.5x55?

I have access to Prvi for about 13/20 or 65p/round, so I'm not sure I would be saving much money, especially as I don't have the kit to clean up cases to re-use them.

The main appeal to me would be the ability to load a decent fox round, as this is the most frequent use of the rifle, but having read old threads it seems a lot of people actually advise against this and simply use the same load for fox as for deer (as I currently do).

So in my situation is it a worthwhile move?

all i can say is you probably wont save any from privvi being cheap but you will be able to get the tightest group possible from your rifle if you wish.it really isnt complicated infact very simple and satisfying but not everyone can be bothered or have some spare time. it has been good in my situation as i wanted a slower round for woodland stalking but use my faster rounds for open /foxing all very accurate and i have enjoyed every minute of it but i do like faffing with things and making stuff.i personally wont go back to buying factory but thats just me i had today off from work and have made up 50 rounds for newzealand and will keep on when i have abit of spare time i have a room in the house i can relax from the kids and shut the door and reload ,atb wayne

If you fancy reloading, and it's a fascinating subject, you will need brass. You will not buy much brass at anything below 50.00/100. As Privi retails at 59.80/100 (I think) it's worth trying it, some folks get remarkable accuracy from it. If it's nothing special, you still have good quality brass for your reloading. At these prices you will not save money on reloading.

I find re-zeroing a pain, but it is something i have to do now as i have just got some foxing where i need frangible bullets. If you keep a note of how much movement you have used in adjusting your 'scope, it is not so bad.

Regards, Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

another plus is you may find most factory 6.5x55 ammo is loaded to low pressures to suit old rifles. Hand loading you can load it up to 270 pressure which gives it a lot more legs
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    If you fancy reloading, and it's a fascinating subject, you will need brass. You will not buy much brass at anything below 50.00/100. As Privi retails at 59.80/100 (I think) it's worth trying it, some folks get remarkable accuracy from it. If it's nothing special, you still have good quality brass for your reloading. At these prices you will not save money on reloading.

I find re-zeroing a pain, but it is something i have to do now as i have just got some foxing where i need frangible bullets. If you keep a note of how much movement you have used in adjusting your 'scope, it is not so bad.

Regards, Simon
    You'll find Lapua brass for that price. Are you talking about complete Privi ammunition there Simon?

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    You'll find Lapua brass for that price. Are you talking about complete Privi ammunition there Simon?
    Vipa, yes indeedy! Its the full monty. A full one hundred rounds of ammunition for less than 60.00, which as you so rightly say, is about 5.00 more than Lapua brass only! And it's good brass too from the Privi ammo!

Simon.
    Last edited by flytie; 26-01-2011 at 17:23. Reason: clarifcation
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Thank you very much for the replies everyone. I don't think I can improve on the price of the Prvi, but I am getting very keen to work up a fox shooting round, especially as much like Simon I am responsible for a good deal of fox shooting where a frangible bullet should be used.
    I have also discovered that cleaning up brass is not as expensive as I thought, so reusing brass is an option. Not sure how I had convinced myself otherwise.

In terms of getting the best from the calibre, I have a sporterised M96, which as I understand it has a twist rate just under 1:8. I understand from reading some history that this is to stabilise the long 156 grain bullets. Does this mean finding an accurate frangible varmint bullet is likely to be difficult in this rifle?

Hello Liamnjs - Judging from your last post I might have come in too late, but what's wrong with your brass from your previous firings ? It's now fireformed to your own rifle. Beg- borrow - buy a powder scales if you can. I do use the dippers - and also make them to my requirements, but also like to check-weigh. (Somehow it never used to bother me before I had scales. I just used to practise getting a nice even scoop into the correct-sized dipper and checked that it filled the case to the same height every time).

Anyway - you probably have once-fired cases from factory ammo used in your rifle. Choose out twenty or so of the same brand and get busy on the relevant instructions.

It's as easy as falling off a log, and whilst producing your own might not have the economy appeal that it once had, it might certainly produce some changes in grouping. Some barrels group pretty much the same - and to the same point of aim - with different weight bullets. It does happen.

It all depends upon if you have the interest in having a go. I for one would not go back to using factory ammo for choice, but I've been reloading for many years now.
    At the same time, in general, factory ammo has improved out of all recognition whilst some cartridge brands were always reliable.

It's entirely up to you.

The best of luck - Ken.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

In terms of getting the best from the calibre, I have a sporterised M96, which as I understand it has a twist rate just under 1:8. I understand from reading some history that this is to stabilise the long 156 grain bullets. Does this mean finding an accurate frangible varmint bullet is likely to be difficult in this rifle?
    Not that I have noticed and I have used bullets and ammunition ranging from Norma 77 Grn Soft Point, 100 Grn Nosler Ballistic Tip handloads in this :-

Sporterised Swedish Gustav and if I do my part it will put any reasonable load into MOA or less.

Very nice BH!

Best

Peter