BASC intermediate deer course at chart farm SEVENOAKS

Fenlander

An enjoyable weekend.
The Course organised by BASC was
run by Chris on the 1st day and Andy on the following day.
Both were brilliant i would recommend this course to anyone,
and they need not look any further than BASC if they are thinking
of doing this course.
A big thank you to Chris and Andy.

What's an 'intermediate deer course' ?
I have only heard of 'Pre DSC1' DSC 1, DSC2 and the Advanced Stalkers Course now called the Deer Managers Course.
Is this something else thought up that people need before they can go stalking ?
Was the Chris you mention, Chris H of 2 Para ?

If so, I have already broken the 10th commandment regarding that rifle he had made by Mr Bowers and would probably break the 8th as well ;)

I wouldn't want to carry it on the hill all day but by heck it can shoot :eek:

willie_gunn

I have only heard of 'Pre DSC1' DSC 1, DSC2 and the Advanced Stalkers Course now called the Deer Managers Course.
Is this something else thought up that people need before they can go stalking ?

I think Chris Brooks is 2IC Deer at BASC. JC

pre dsc2 course

WOW :eek: That's a good un then :rolleyes:
I'm an AW anybody want me to take them on a 'Pre AW Stalk' course :D:D:D

PS I am joking, to me a pre course course is a bit beyond a joke :eek:

Joking apart mate, I wish a few more people would prepare themselves better before embarking on DSC2 or at least have a more realistic view of their own abilities. JC

at last amore reallistic response to the thread. well done jc
I was genuinely interested in finding out what course you were on as I was, pre-retirement, involved in training and since retirement thought I had kept abreast with things.
As regards JC's remarks, I thoroughly agree.
I would have thought the AW would speak to the prospective candidate at length, to get an idea of the experience of the prospective candidate before attempting an AW stalk to make sure both of you are not wasting your time.
I always do and do not take the candidate on unless I feel they have the required experience and knowledge.
Sometimes life is too serious so a light hearted approach is sometimes better, sorry if you did not appreciate it.
I can do serious but at my age it isn't fun anymore.

At least ninety percent of candidates for the DSC2 turn up to complete an AW stalk with me and the first thing they do is take a step behind me and expect the full client package I wish some one would tell them at DSC1 that they can't expect to get signed off with deer numbers 1 2 3

It is a 'quantom leap' between the theory of DSC 1 and the practical aspects of DSC 2 which so many people fail to appreciate. Going straight from level 1 to 2 without any further training is totally unrealistic for the average stalker.

This sort of course bridges that gap and is a great idea for anyone who hasn't access to any other valid training during the void between levels 1 & 2.

As stated above, many a first AW stalk is wasted due to a lack of experience, knowledge and understanding!;)

MS:)

It is a 'quantom leap' between the theory of DSC 1 and the practical aspects of DSC 2 which so many people fail to appreciate. Going straight from level 1 to 2 without any further training is totally unrealistic for the average stalker.

This sort of course bridges that gap and is a great idea for anyone who hasn't access to any other valid training during the void between levels 1 & 2.

As stated above, many a first AW stalk is wasted due to a lack of experience, knowledge and understanding!;)

MS:)

Too late to change it now but I think one of the problems from the very onset was the fact that it was called level one and two, it implies that one follows straight on from the other.

If it had been called basic and advanced or something along those lines it may have been better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the system, and it is good that candidates aspire to be better than they currently are, but the time for that is in training sessions (or by simply gaining experience) not during the witnessed stalks.

JC

I think we should have an intermediate intermediate or maybe a pre intermediate intermediate course:rofl:

Bring out the bisto Train then we can all have some:rofl:

Wait till it becomes compulsary to have a trained dog before you can go stalking and the gravy train that will follow its only a matter of time mark my words:D

Last edited:
An enjoyable weekend.
The Course organised by BASC was
run by Chris on the 1st day and Andy on the following day.
Both were brilliant i would recommend this course to anyone,
and they need not look any further than BASC if they are thinking
of doing this course.
A big thank you to Chris and Andy.

Fenlander
I don't know chris,
but I do know Andy
You will learn a lot from that fella:thumb:

andy was brilliant. learnt a good few tips on dsc2 procedure . his grallock was made to look easy.would recommend this course to any body who has passed his dsc1 . the estate allows you to cull deer transport to larder and grallock, all to a high standard on the 2nd day .andy made the job look easy .

Back