Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safe backstop

Safe backstop

One aspect of the 'In the bag not' thread that surprised me was posters questioning the backstop.

Since doing my DSC1 most of my stalking has been alone and thus not subject to peer review. Maybe I'm not being sufficiently cautious?

Assuming the rifle was positioned somewhere near the camera why was the large rising bank of earth above the animal not considered to be sufficient backstop?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestman View Post
    One aspect of the 'In the bag not' thread that surprised me was posters questioning the backstop.

Since doing my DSC1 most of my stalking has been alone and thus not subject to peer review. Maybe I'm not being sufficiently cautious?

Assuming the rifle was positioned somewhere near the camera why was the large rising bank of earth above the animal not considered to be sufficient backstop?

I.M.H.O...It's probably a camera related image foreshortening issue. i.e. In the photo you refer to it maybe didn't immediately look like there was much rise to the ground behind the deer (to some people).

If you take the time to look at the pylon, & in particular the steel sections, you should have a good idea how much room was or was not available.............. I certainly would not have hesitated in doing my thing!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If it was 250yds to the deer I am guessing a further 300yds or so to the skyline. 200+yds therefore of rising ground beyond the deer for the bullet to drop into? Safe as houses IMO. But there I go again speculating...

I'd be happy to send a bullet into that backstop. Not so sure about shooting at a Deer off of sticks at 250m. It's not a shot I would take that's for sure. I'm happy to admit it would not be within my ability. A bipod yes, assuming the rise of the ground would be suitable from that position.

looked a safe back stop to me,ide of taken the shot from that picture/view!!

Bestman, I think very few of us on this site would not have taken a shot from that position if the deer were in range and standing right

Bestman the shot was safe the distance was even off i bipod a very long way at a active target. I think the fact that one poster thought the ground might be a bit hard with frost was his take on it not being safe but were i am the ground is soft right through and we have had a thaw for more then 4 days.

So if you see a shot and the ground rises that high above your deer shoot it but make sure it is in your comfort zone.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 26-01-2011 at 22:20.

Soft ground or not, that backstop was fine IMO.

Well said 6pointer, you are completely right in the fact that as long as it is within your comfort zone. We all have limits and should be aware of them. The gentleman in the other thread who said the backdrop was not very good picked up on a point and to him indicated a clear danger. This may have not have been the case on that particular ground but at least he was thinking. As for shooting a dear of sticks at 250yards, maybe this gentleman is a very capable shot and has numerously take beasts at such a range in such a position. Again we should all act within our capabilities and comfort zone.

aliS