Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: age of boar

age of boar

As the title says how can you tell the age of a boar...(and i know carefully if its still alive....lol.) but ive just recieved some trichinella testing kits from the fsa and the form that goes off with the sample has a part about age, is it the same as deer with teeth wear and such like......eddie

Adults have 44 teeth in their full dentition so you can look closer at natural decay if this is the case. Before full adult dentition you can look at how many molars are present to determin roughly what year of development it is in. The first milk dentition is 28? ish won't promise and they get that after a few months. It takes 4 years ish to get the 44.

On the top and bottom jaw you have a row of 7 teeth that quickly get bigger towards the back with the first 4 being premolars and the back 3 molars. I think but can't promise that they get 1 additional molar roughly every year after the first milk dentition is in place which would be a good way to determin age if that's not utter bs.

Thanks for that paul, ill right that down and keep it safe....lol..

HI PAUL
    Well after ive shot em in the head with 150grn ballistic tip most of
    the teeth are scattered about in the forest

Quote Originally Posted by Solwaystalker View Post
    HI PAUL
    Well after ive shot em in the head with 150grn ballistic tip most of
    the teeth are scattered about in the forest
    That's the best ever

well done that's priceless

Quote Originally Posted by apollo View Post
    As the title says how can you tell the age of a boar...(and i know carefully if its still alive....lol.) but ive just recieved some trichinella testing kits from the fsa and the form that goes off with the sample has a part about age, is it the same as deer with teeth wear and such like......eddie
    I have got a card that my friend in the Netherlands gave me.

It has various diagrams to show how you age a boar based on its tooth wear.I will post a scanned image of it tomorrow.

Cheers

Ross

Boar Tooth Wear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boar Tooth Wear 1.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	4609

This is the card that I was given, you can work out what age the beast is by looking at the tooth wear and if they have milk teeth etc.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Ross

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boar Tooth Wear 2.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	4610

I am the one Ross got the card from. I would like to add that the teeth in white are the first teeth that it has since birth, and the black ones the permanent teeth after he changes teeth. (sorry I do not know the correct terms, but like people wild boar also "change" their "milkteeth" for the grown up permanent ones). The middle ones in the lower jaw go with 14-15 months. The outside ones with 18-19 months.

Thanks for explaining R. As you know I can't speak Dutch, its all double Dutch to me!!!

See you on Saturday.

Cheers

Ross