Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Hazzard Scoping in

Fire Hazzard Scoping in

Not thought of this before. Just asked a local farmer if I can scope in against his stack of bales (20ft wide, 100ft deep, 30ft high).

He asked if it was a fire hazzard to them.

I will be shooting at distances from 50yds to 200yds to check the ballistics.

Are there any issues?

Ian

I doubt there's any fire risk but I wouldn't put money on it. I'd be more concerned with animals picking up the rounds later down the line to be honest. Even if its just intended as bedding straw I wouldn't want any of our sheep or cattle accidently having a chomp on a potentially expanded bullet !

Tom

I very much doubt it would be an issue. You're not using tracer are you?!

Nope just working up loads of 130 grain and 150 grain 270. I am sure a cow would not notice a vortually intact inert bullet head going through its good at zero velocity.

Ian

I wouldn't even ask any of my farmers, unless the bales are evidently ruined by age or weather.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post
    Nope just working up loads of 130 grain and 150 grain 270. I am sure a cow would not notice a vortually intact inert bullet head going through its good at zero velocity.

Ian
    If the bullet was intact, as you say - shouldn't be a problem. However, some bales are pretty tightly compacted and I'd guess they could mean the bullets will open up or fragment. Cows still occasionally get "wired" where a foreign body penetrates the reticulum and can enter the heart. It is usually wire, or nails but can be stiff nylon. So it might be a problem. If they are forage bales rather than straw then there may be an issue with lead? There are cases of silage being lead contaminated although I suspect it was the forage harvester chopping up an old battery. Depends how much you fire at it I supose!

Ok, I am seeing more negatives that positives for this. He has an 8 ft by 100ft earth bank thats just half a mile from a track so will have to stretch my legs

Ian

The other issue is that a lot of dairy farmers do put straw through their feeder wagon as a source of fibre in the diet. Just because it's straw doesn't mean its not fodder!

Is there no where better to zero? We have some disused railway embankments that are perfect for this use! What about shooting the muck heap? That's unlikely to be a problem.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post

Ian
    A ruminant's gut is not like ours. What goes in can stay in for a very long time. A bullet is likely to lie at the bottom of the Rumen (one of their four stomaches) and will slowly dissolve even if it is not fragmented. This is exactly the principle that slow release wormers and other types of metabolic supplement boluses depend on.

Go and use the earth bank, methinks.

My main concern would be that a tramp had taken up residance or some kids had a gang hut in there.

Regarding poisoning, i dont think it would be a problem, unless you where shooting vast amounts,the chances of one beast getting all your lead would be very slim after being thrugh the mixer...