RWS Ammo

huntsman

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone out there has used or has any info about RWS cone-points 150gr in 308win.
Local shop has got some at an ok-ish price and they seem to have bought a batch so better still if they work. Mainly for sika and fallow.
Rifle blaser R93 professional with match barrel.

thanks
Dave

Hi Huntsman.

i've used the RWS .270 140gr cone point also, from my tikka t3. used mostly on red, sika and roe. They certainly were sufficient for the job so i would imagine that with a .308win they will certainly do the job. I currently use Norma .270 110 gr ballistic tip non toxic as SNH requirement which also are an excellent round for all the deer listed above.....

If you can - just get hold of one and try gently chambering it. These cartridges with cone-nosed bullets should be fine for all factory-made chambers, but not always for custom made rifles where the leed might have been made a little shorter.

The cone replaces the gradual ogive and the shoulder of the cone reaches closer forward to the rifling than the more gradual-shaped bullet ogive.

Believe me - I know this from experience as I obtained a packet of RWS 127 grain cone-nose cartridges for my custom-made 6.5X57mm and the shoulders did engage the rifling.

I doubt if you would have this problem - but maybe worth a precautionary check. All I had to do was sit them in the press and push the bullets into the cases a couple of millimetres.

I've used this cartridge in my 308 - very good accurate in my rifle at least. Not the cheapest, but if your rifle likes it...

Andrew

The Cone point bullet has an excellent reputation even in Africa. Robertson mentions them in the book "The Perfect Shot".. They seem to provide excellent precision on target too.

Back