removing a carcass across neighbours land

Slightly aggresive posting again here! Scotland does have different laws regarding land access, however it is always better to remain on good relationships with your neighbours no matter where you live, and perhaps carrying a rifle in a slip in Scotland across someone elses land would be more appropriate as well as being on good terms with your neighbours. After all they may be out stalking on the hill at the sametime and winding their ground whilst you are extracting a deer may not go down to well.

In England we have a law called armed trespass, which is used in some instances when poaching cannot be proven, if the culprit is carrying a firearm. But again if you have land that makes extraction difficult and your neighbours land is easier, it is common sense and common courtesy to approach them and ask. After all what have you got to loose, and as a previous poster has posted they ended up with more stalking.

So lets keep the replies civil on this thread ;)

Thank you

so in answer to your question Swatty: i would just ask your neighbour and see what he sais.

where abouts are you Scotland or England ?

as above title ive a bit of ground that if i shoot a beast it involves a minimum of a hour uphill drag but if i can go across a neighbouring farms ground it a nice 10 min flat drag what is the legallity of dragging across others land
Do you mind me asking what you do with your deer after you prepare them

Go for the long drag sir and work up an appertite then sir . If you get a chance do your level 1 and gamehandling course for your own good really , theres a good book called deer law and liabilities , it will help you find out where you stand on such questions of acces and how to sell your venison within the law eh

Go for the long drag sir and work up an appertite then sir . If you get a chance do your level 1 and gamehandling course for your own good really , theres a good book called deer law and liabilities , it will help you find out where you stand on such questions of acces and how to sell your venison within the law eh
rubbish if i need to know where i stand on questions like these then i ask on here and dont have to waste my hard earned on a course on stalking im good enough at it already there will not be a problem dragging beasts across my neighbours ground as i know the farmer but the lad who shoots the ground maybe a bit funny either way im not right bothered the drag out is all part of it

Slightly aggresive posting again here! Scotland does have different laws regarding land access, however it is always better to remain on good relationships with your neighbours no matter where you live, and perhaps carrying a rifle in a slip in Scotland across someone elses land would be more appropriate as well as being on good terms with your neighbours. After all they may be out stalking on the hill at the sametime and winding their ground whilst you are extracting a deer may not go down to well.

In England we have a law called armed trespass, which is used in some instances when poaching cannot be proven, if the culprit is carrying a firearm. But again if you have land that makes extraction difficult and your neighbours land is easier, it is common sense and common courtesy to approach them and ask. After all what have you got to loose, and as a previous poster has posted they ended up with more stalking.

So lets keep the replies civil on this thread ;)

Thank you

You are spot on Skiamalc, it pays to be polite. Manners cost nothing. In Scotland the access code is a code of conduct so there are rules. You can't just go walking across every piece of ground claiming you have a god given right. I personally ask on occasions such as this.

Section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968, makes it an offence to have in any public place, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof shall lie with him/her) any of the following:

A loaded shotgun
A loaded air weapon
Any other firearm loaded, or unloaded if the person also has suitable ammunition in his/her possession
Section 20 of the Act creates an offence for any person, in possession of a firearm, to trespass onto any land or buildings, without reasonable excuse (the proof whereof shall lie with him/her)

I have 3 blocks of forest were access to them is over other law owners ground were I do not have permission to shoot on. I make sure the rifle is unloaded while on their land I have been over it hundreds of times with deer, no problem, no laws broke. It is accepted in statute that travelling direct to or from land you do have permission to shoot on is reasonable excuse.

ATB

Tahr

You give someone a bit of friendly advise and get a load of slather :rolleyes: an old keeper told me years ago "him as knows it all aint done none" . Swatty my boy you asked the question i gave you an answer .

You give someone a bit of friendly advise and get a load of slather :rolleyes: an old keeper told me years ago "him as knows it all aint done none" . Swatty my boy you asked the question i gave you an answer .
trouble if i knew it all i would of never started the post would i im not giving you a load of slather ps ive done plenty just others anwered better than you

Come on lads keep it civil this is a very good thread and i dont want to see the red writing again i have seen it enough;)

I have 3 blocks of forest were access to them is over other law owners ground were I do not have permission to shoot on. I make sure the rifle is unloaded while on their land I have been over it hundreds of times with deer, no problem, no laws broke. It is accepted in statute that travelling direct to or from land you do have permission to shoot on is reasonable excuse.

ATB

Tahr

If your land is land locked so to speak then you would be entiled to access anyway from some point as the woodland has to have access for forestry operations as well as your culling surely

Last edited:
If your land is land locked so to speak then you would be entiled to access anyway from some point as the woodland has to have access for forestry operations as well as your culling surely

Yes they are no public roads to the boundary of my land, but the principle is the same, when I cross “their” land with a deer and a rifle they could accuse me of shooting it on their land not my own, to which they would be politely told to feck off, as I said no law broken in Scotland if you are travelling to or from land which you do have permission to shoot on if you choose to access it over land you do not have permission. I know some don't like that fact but never the less that is the way it is.

ATB

Tahr

I shoot a lot of small areas that hold deer i need to walk down roads with my rifle cross roads on to land were i have no shooting then a few more hundred yards on to my shooting Infact i had a chap out off this site who was stuggling to see a deer. We promtly walk on to the road then down about 300 - 400 yards crossed over on to council ground then along a bit more load the rifle and shot 2 deer all this while 5 cops watched us from a vantage point they were looking for poachers quite sereal really but while its not cleaver to walk down the road with a rifle over your sholder you have broken no laws.

I shoot a lot of small areas that hold deer i need to walk down roads with my rifle cross roads on to land were i have no shooting then a few more hundred yards on to my shooting Infact i had a chap out off this site who was stuggling to see a deer. We promtly walk on to the road then down about 300 - 400 yards crossed over on to council ground then along a bit more load the rifle and shot 2 deer all this while 5 cops watched us from a vantage point they were looking for poachers quite sereal really but while its not cleaver to walk down the road with a rifle over your sholder you have broken no laws.

Likewise a shotgun as long as its broken although if you walk down the road with an air rifle thats uncovered you are breaking the law. Strange our laws arnt they;)

thanks for your replys ill probably go and see the land owner and see what i can make out its a bit of a tricky one as i dont really see eye to eye with the guy who rents the shooting (through no fault of mine ) hes just that way out, even though he has been given permission to walk a small bit of my ground to get to some off theres so there shouldnt be a problem . its just a nightmare of a bit ,but it holds alot of deer. i have to depending on wind to come in on a public footpath so its a wee bit tricky , and to get a big red off through my ground is a good hour uphill drag

Back