S & B or Doctor

Deeps707

I am after a bit of advice from your good self’s, I am thinking of purchasing an 8 x 56 illuminated reticle scope, either the S & B Hungarian or the Doctor classic, they seem to be similar in price.
I have never used a Doctor scope does anyone know how they compare with the S & B for low light capabilities / build quality etc, any advice would be appreciated :confused:

Go for the S&B, the quality is better, the glass is better, mechanics are better. I know the back-up is good at S&B.
In a few years time you will be glad.
edi

+1 for the S&B they are better in every respect (except for price and that is soon forgotten)

I have a s+b 8x56 hungarian model. rearly good low light capabilities. S+B every time.
Jonathon
ps its like having a drain pipe on top of your rifle though :eek:

doctor

thought id better post in defence of the doctor optics,
iv had one on the top of my 6.5x55 for ten years and have been very pleased with it. i cant judge it against the s and b as ive never had one,
but the its just as clear as the day i got it [2nd hand]. i know the saying you get what you pay for, but the doc is very good value for money. :)

Thanks for that guys, I thought it would be the S & B, especially looking at previous posts on this site from happy users, seems to be a bit of a wait for one though as they appear to be in short supply and the price has just jumped again.

Try here Macleods they have a fine selection. I was talking to Gregor macLeod last week and he told me had just had 40 delivered. There is always a good selection of second hand optics. If you do phone them up, tell the bugger you got his address from here he never believes me.

John

JAYB said:
Try here Macleods they have a fine selection. I was talking to Gregor macLeod last week and he told me had just had 40 delivered. There is always a good selection of second hand optics. If you do phone them up, tell the bugger you got his address from here he never believes me.

John

I'll second Macleods, thar mentioned it a while back and I bought a second hand S&B without seeing from them. Was just as expected.
nice to deal with.
edi

Cheers for the info,
Afraid I have just started a months trip offshore in the Dutch sector of the North Sea but a good chance I will be in Invergordon when I get back shore side, and Tain is just up the road, so if the supplier I normally use can’t come up with the goods by then, I’ll go see what Macleods have got.

Invergordon! you will know where Nigg is then. Let me know when or if you are going and I will meet you there, help you screw a deal out of Gregor.

John

Getting a deal out of Gregor McCleod is an art, one that I know you, like me are well versed in ;) What I will say is that he does sell quality gear, and is reasonable in his pricing (most times :lol: )

He does have a good range of Bino's in stock at most times, and he did me a reasonable deal on my T3 Tikka Lite (in cammo Wayne ;) ) and the mod.

Funny he always smiles when I walk in the shop with overseas clients, cant figure out why :rolleyes:

doctor

I have a doctor illum ret on my 243 and a s+b on my 6.5.
The doctor is an excellent scope and I believe is made by the old eastern germany Zeiss.

They are both similar scopes, the reticules may be slightly different but the clarity is just the same.

You will not go wrong with either.

J

Cheers JAYB I’ll drop you a PM when I’m due up, it depends on where the powers that be want to send the vessel that I have to join, sometimes Invergordon or even exotic like Peterhead.
Had a look at Macleods web site and looks like the kind of place where even if I go in just for a look I come out with an empty wallet and the access card in tatters.

deeps707

i have a hungarian S&B 8x56 IR i cant answer about the doctor as never looked through one. the S&B i have is fantastic outstanding light gathering .

i was out last night and could still see deer clearly through my scope at 10:40pm (moon was hiden behind clouds) i was watching a group of fallow @ 150m with bino's and thought wounder if could still see with optic's . clicked IR on to No 2 setting and had a look , i could still see deer clearly (well shootable if allowed ) at this distance. remember is easy spending other pepoles money.......neil

Back