Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doe or Buck

Doe or Buck

Quick chance can you tell a doe or a buck with out antlers and only a glimps at the rear.

FINISHING THE CULL DEPENDS ON IT.

PS frank its not an antlerd doe
    Last edited by 6pointer; 27-01-2011 at 13:36.

Why would you not be able to wait a few seconds until the deer picked up it's head?? ~Muir

Because were i am Muir some other bugger would shoot it before you. If that deer only lifts its head when it is as on to you then there is no shot on or if he walks into an area of safty all is lost ,some times only a split second in roe stalking is all you get.

Yeah, but surely you wouldn't shoot it in the arse either If you can't see the head, it must be facing mostly away from you..So you'd have to wait for the head to come up for a neck shot anyway, or for it to go broadside, right?.

but yes, everyone knows the female has a tush...the male doesn't. if it's not perfectly clear, don't shoot. Also, if you're managing your deer, you'd surely want to know the age of the animal as well, as not all does or bucks are to be culled. I'd imagine your goal will be to take, say 20% old does, 20% middle aged, and 60% yearlings...'that' you can't tell from looking at its arse,,as opposed ot the two-legged version we know so well...

Most certainly a lovely 6 point buck in velvet.

pkl at the correct time i would shoot that deer as it stands with out hesitation it would not need to lift its head at all and old bucks and Old Does can travel for 30 -50 yards with out ever lifting there head.
    But you are correct i would not shoot a deer in the ass for me and deer thats a one way valve . This morning was a recky round the place to see whats what no rush .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    pkl at the correct time i would shoot that deer as it stands with out hesitation it would not need to lift its head at all and old bucks and Old Does can travel for 30 -50 yards with out ever lifting there head.
    But you are correct i would not shoot a deer in the ass for me and deer thats a one way valve . This morning was a recky round the place to see whats what no rush .
    Hi,

Sorry, didn't see the picture..my browser is farked...will have a look when I get home

Because were i am Muir some other bugger would shoot it before you.
    Well spoken Dave, your an Veteran at this Stalking game.
    If your not fast your last round our neck oh the woods.

Rgds.Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 27-01-2011 at 22:04.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Because were i am Muir some other bugger would shoot it before you. If that deer only lifts its head when it is as on to you then there is no shot on or if he walks into an area of safty all is lost ,some times only a split second in roe stalking is all you get.
    not if he is on sticks mate, i would think your safe enough.

Let's be honest here
    if this was a beast that you needed to finish the cull you would take it wether it be doe or buck and shot placement
    as meat damage don't come into this sector, just securing the beast does
    as if the pressure was that much then it would on a need basis
    since you hav plenty of time from posting then there should not be an issuse considering the amount of knowledge you hav and the deer present on your ground
    if the issuse is shoot it before your neighbour does, then that ain't really managing a cull at the realistic value of a stalker
    that is shooting it before your neighbour does
    that is a totally different management strategy all together
    if all you hav is a split second to decide then how would you know that beast is the right one unless you shoot on sight or already recognise the beast from ealier expeditions
    lets face it Roe are not the hardest of animals to cull or manage in areas that you are familiar with
    as if you fail today, they will be there in the same area 2 morro or next year if you ain't caught up with them
    persistence is the key as you know