Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning brass without tumbler

cleaning brass without tumbler

Ok, this might seem INSANE, but would there be anything wrong with cleaning brass using 'Brasso', one case at a time, rather than using a tumbler...just wondering..LOL

You can't be insane because I do this, and my dog assures me that I'm totally sane.

I use this wadding to take off the burn residue on the necks. This is the only way I know to get this caked on gunge off to check for neck splits ......then I tumble the cases if they need it or I can be bothered.

I seem to recall having read somewhere that polishes of that sort were not good, because the ammonium in them softens and weakens the brass itself.
    Personally I use an ultrasonic bath type cleaner with good results. Cider vinegar for initial clean and de-tarnish, followed by warm water with a little detergent and a small amount of bicarbonate of soda to neutralise the acid from the earlier vinegar dunk, then finally a good rinse in clean water. Whole process done in under 15 minutes (plus thorough overnight drying, of course). Works for me.

It's my dream that one day I'll have enough time to be able to clean a decent batch of brass one cart at a time......................

I'll be bu&&úred if i'll actually spend it polishing cartridges though

Quote Originally Posted by pigglet View Post
    It's my dream that one day I'll have enough time to be able to clean a decent batch of brass one cart at a time......................

I'll be bu&&úred if i'll actually spend it polishing cartridges though
    Come on! they look like little bars of shiny gold when you polish them by hand

Soak them in coke and then rinse! Does the inside of the case too!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Soak them in coke and then rinse! Does the inside of the case too!
    MS
    R U Joking? curious..

Cocaine is far too expensive for me MS !!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Using a case holding tool (the sort you use for length sizing the case) mount it in a cordless drill, place case in holding tool, then use one of those green dish scrubbing cloths to clean the case, whilst rotating the case in the drill obviously. Works a treat and not too abrasive ! Much quicker than the tumbler, but doesn't get any cleaning agent inside the case.

Tom